Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12:24V - 180V Step Up transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spadez

Ive been searching in vain to find a cheap and simple device in the UK which will allow me to use a 12V-24V DC supply to output 180V DC to allow me to test my nixie tubes.

I dont trust myself to build one, id much rather purchase one at this stage. Can anyone recommend a source to find them, preferably in the UK.

This is the kind of thing im after (except I cant get a reply from these people): Nixie tubes tube DC-DC converter Power Supply

Thanks.

Ive been searching in vain to find a cheap and simple device in the UK which will allow me to use a 12V-24V DC supply to output 180V DC to allow me to test my nixie tubes.

I dont trust myself to build one, id much rather purchase one at this stage. Can anyone recommend a source to find them, preferably in the UK.

This is the kind of thing im after (except I cant get a reply from these people): Nixie tubes tube DC-DC converter Power Supply

Thanks.

hi S,
They are not cheap.
HITEK POWER|GMA12-200-PE|CONVERTER, DC/DC, 1.5W, +200V | Farnell United Kingdom

Great minds think alike?

I was just about to post the same link!

Unless you can find a second hand one for a few pounds, I dont think that this is such a good way to go.
What is wrong with a simple mains power supply, transformer, rectifier and capacitor?

JimB

I can do this, but im not particularity strong in the field of electronics, so I dont want to destroy my nixies, and id rather not kill myself either.

If there is a simple guide explaining how to make this transformer then I would be willing to give that a go instead. Ive had a search on the internet for "DIY mains DC transformer", but I couldnt find anything good enough to convince me to go that route.

I think im correct in saying that I would need a 4-3 ratio on the primary and secondary transformers respectively, and a bridge rectifier to convert the AC-DC, with a capacitor to smooth out the frequency and a resistor to limit the current. In terms of actually finding the correct components with the right values, im lost.

Last edited:
Last edited:
All sorted! I was able to find a kit on ebay for £10 that sorts me out. Thank you for all your help and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back