Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

117V AC appliance on 127V AC mains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmb

In parts of Brazil, the mains voltage is 127V AC. Is it safe to use an appliance which is supposed to take 117V AC in this situation?
Thanks

Depends on the appliance? What are you concerned about?

127 volts is less than 9% off the label rating. Most machines will work properly under these conditions, but I once had a clothes dryer that kept burning out its heater at 125 volts.

Depends on the appliance? What are you concerned about?

It is an electronic keyboard (digital piano). In the manual it says that it works on AC 117V, AC 230V and AC 240V. I just want to find out if it will work on AC 127V, and if using it on AC 127V will damage it.

Does it have a slide switch to change it from one voltage to another? How about multiple line cords with more than two pins on the AC connector?

The reason I ask is because a lot of modern AC powered appliances use an off-line switching power supply which usually is designed to operate on any voltage from 100V to 250V without changing anything. If it is one of these, then it will not care.

It shouldn't bother it. electrical devices typically have a +- 12 -15% working range and utility power providers have a +- 10% range they are supposed to stay within. so that means your 120 VAC rated device should work normally from around 102 - 138 volts while your electrical service can vary between 108 and 132 volts. However cheap made devices may be more sensitive thatn better made ones.
Most universal rated devices have a full range 100 - 250 VAC rating now but will still work fine from as low as 80 volts up to 280 volts.

Does it have a slide switch to change it from one voltage to another? How about multiple line cords with more than two pins on the AC connector?

The reason I ask is because a lot of modern AC powered appliances use an off-line switching power supply which usually is designed to operate on any voltage from 100V to 250V without changing anything. If it is one of these, then it will not care.

No, it does not have a slide switch. I am not sure what multiple line cords are, but at the moment I use a regular power lead (kettle lead): the AC inlet on the keyboard has three pins, and the power lead has a type I plug with three pins (that's what I use when connecting it to 240V AC anyway). This is what someone from support said: "This unit has an auto switching regulator, which means you can connect the instrument to either 117v, 230v or 240v. All you will need is the correct IEC cable (jug plug)."

On the basis of this do you think it uses an off-line switching power supply of the sort you mentioned? I have e-mailed support to ask.

Then its definitely fine.

It'll probably work on any voltage between 100VAC to 250VAC, don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back