Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

110v Radio to work in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewcastleSAR

Hi Folks..

Just a quick post. My father-in-law was given a radio cassette DVD player by his daughter-in-law who is from the states. Unfortunately the radio is 110 voltage. What is the best way to operate it in the UK.

Is doesn't seem to be a 110/240 transformer going by the details on the outer casing. He tried running it on uk mains but it failed. It works okay on batteries but he'd like to operate it from the mains.

Regards

Declan

Just use a little 240 to 120 step down transformer. I doubt it needs much power. This assumes the AC input wasn't damaged when he ran it on UK mains. That or remove the batteries and use a battery eliminator.

Ron

He probably blew-up the internal power supply. To run it via an external 240-120V step-down transformer, you will have to fix the internal supply.
Using a plug-in Wall-Wart that makes the appropriate DC (6V?, 9V?) is likely the best option.

Hi Ron & Mike..

What's the best way to check if the AC transformer is kaput!! I do have a feeling it is gone though.

I was thinking about using a DC power unit and removing the AC side of things altogether. I suppose it depends on what exactly he wants me to do.

If using the DC PSU method, where is the best place to connect it to on the circuitboard so that it doesn't interfere with the batteries if he wishes to use it outside.

Many thanks

Declan

Last edited:
Use a coaxial socket which has an auxiliary switch contact which is wired to isolate the battery pack while the external plug is inserted into the socket. Removing the external plug automatically reconnects the battery...

Last edited:
If you plugged it in 240V mains for even an instant, the transformer is blown - they have a thermal fuse inside the windings, and this has probably blown (it's not replaceable).

The American radio will sound "muffled" with missing high audio frequencies when receiving FM in the UK because the equalization standards are different.

Cheers Folks..

Many thanks for the replies. I don't think the father-in-law is too worried about FM radio. He's more interested in playing CD's

Regards

Declan

1 1/2 things here:
From what I recall from my eternety in service: The 19kHz pilot-tone for the stereo-encoder in NA is 0.7Vpp, in Europe it is 0.3V, so some mod to the encoder is required to detect the lower signal to get stereo FM
From what I recall the European AC (230V) is balanced about the neutral, 115V each leg. This could give you the 115V you need, quite illigally, I am sure. And I did not mention it!
Cheers, E

1 1/2 things here:
From what I recall from my eternety in service: The 19kHz pilot-tone for the stereo-encoder in NA is 0.7Vpp, in Europe it is 0.3V, so some mod to the encoder is required to detect the lower signal to get stereo FM
From what I recall the European AC (230V) is balanced about the neutral, 115V each leg. This could give you the 115V you need, quite illigally, I am sure. And I did not mention it!
Cheers, E

What you recall is complete nonsense - Europe uses 230V single phase, derived from 230V three phase, with domestic premises receiving one of the phree phases and a neutral. You're thinking of the strange American 110/220V system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back