Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

110AC to 220AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm, I followed your link but am trig to get away cheaper than that. I recently got a great deal on a 5hp portable air compressor but it uses 220 instead of 110 and I'd prefer the covienence of being able to plug into 110. Suggestions?

Hmmmm, I followed your link but am trig to get away cheaper than that. I recently got a great deal on a 5hp portable air compressor but it uses 220 instead of 110 and I'd prefer the covienence of being able to plug into 110. Suggestions?
A standard 110V circuit will not handle the current required for a 5hp motor (about 4000 watts or 36A). That's why you need a 220V outlet.

Sometimes the motors on these compressors do have 110 V windings combined with the 220 V ones

worth having a look if not I would try to get anothe motor for it that runs on 110 V (probably a cheaper solution than a transformer)

Robert-Jan

Sometimes the motors on these compressors do have 110 V windings combined with the 220 V ones

worth having a look if not I would try to get anothe motor for it that runs on 110 V (probably a cheaper solution than a transformer)

Robert-Jan
You still would need a 36A 110V outlet.

That's why the next generation of countries chose 240AC.

It just has so many advantages. I spend 6 months of hell in the US, using 110v.

110v simply doesn't work.

Next generation of countries?

You certainly must have a lot of high power appliances (over 1500W) if they wouldn't work on 110V.

Sorry your stay in the US was so miserable. Please do come back when we change to 240V.

And 240V also has the advantage of helping thin out the Darwin gene pool.

It's should not be a big deal, really. Center tapped 240 volts is what gets routed into every (US) home to begin with. It gets split into 120 outlets more often than as 240 outlets, is all. Install a 240 outlet where you will be using the compressor. It's a do-it-yourself job, that costs relatively little.

Disclaimer: Get it inspected before using it. :p

It's should not be a big deal, really. Center tapped 240 volts is what gets routed into every (US) home to begin with. It gets split into 120 outlets more often than as 240 outlets, is all. Install a 240 outlet where you will be using the compressor. It's a do-it-yourself job, that costs relatively little.

Disclaimer: Get it inspected before using it. :p

Most correct. Almost all modern homes built in the US from the 50s have 220vac (240 really) available and used by any kitchen with electric ranges and ovens and electric cloths dryers in the laundry room or garage.

It's just a matter of obtaining a dual width 220v breaker of the correct current rating for your panel and wiring to a new receptacle. Or as someone said use your cloths dryer power outlet, You can buy 220 volt appliance plug cords at any hardware store to match any existing 220vac outlet you may have. 32 amps is too much current to draw from a 120vac outlet as it would exceed the breaker and the wire rating to the outlet.

So I think we in the US have the best of both worlds and can use 120 or 240vac without fooling with transformers.
Lefty

Last edited:
This is great news. I lived in the US for 6 months and no-one ever told me about the possibility of 240v or any of the items you mention. Never did I see any 240 appliances.

This must have all happened relatively recently.

Things are really improving in the US.

What exactly did not work, that huge blow horn of yours?

Last edited:
We bought a photocopier and plugged it in. It hiccupped every time it tried to make a copy.
We had to connect it to the power coming into the factory and it just managed to work.

We also bought an air conditioner that didn't work and a 2HP docking saw that failed to operate.

I realise we should have bought our own transformer and set it up outside the factory, but the cost was enormous.

Hardly justification for your claims. You either brought gear to the US that was incorrectly powered, or you purchased garbage. I fail to see how a mafunctioning copier can be attributed to a 110 power source.

We in the US have equipment that has worked properly for years. Dunno what the basis for your claims are as you have failed to support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back