Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

10v voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbrush

Does anyone know how to make a 10v voltage regulator using an lm317t ... i was using a 7810 regulator before and was going to use that again...but my local supplier shut down and ordering one online with shipping etc would cost 14 bucks for a one dollar item. Long story short...I have a lm317t lying order from a previous project and was wondering if that could be used instead? The source is a motorcycle battery.

Last edited:
Download the datasheet. In there you will find a handy dandy formula using two resistors for a ten volt output.

okay i've checked out the datasheets for some...i'm not sure exactly how to figure out what resistors i would need for this setup? and most schematics show capacitors as well..which i'm not sure if i need for this?
Can someone educate me :)...

Try a 100:eek:hm: resistor between Adj and Vout and a 680:eek:hm: between Adj and ground. Should give around 9.75V output. You can add a 22:eek:hm: in series with the 680:eek:hm: to get it closer to 10V or you can replace the 680:eek:hm: with a 1K pot. You definitely want to add the caps as per the application notes.

Or use the reccomended 240 ohm between Vout and Vadj, with a 5K trim pot to ground which will allow for a more precise adjustment of 10 volts.

240:eek:hm: is recommended only for the LM217 and LM117, use 120:eek:hm: with an LM317. Trimpots are fine but more expensive and inconvenient, I'd rather do some maths and use the correct resistor values.

Hi Airbrush,
why not use 7809 and lift the common by one diode say 1N4148

ENSURE THAT THE HEATSINK IS NOT EARTHED.
IT WOULD GIVE YOU 9.7 ALMOST.--

i think it should be cheap and serve your purpose.

Alternately, you may use 7806 if available, and lift common lead by 3.9V zenor( a quarter watt device will do) -- this time you can expect output at almost 9.9V

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back