Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

106 B or C SCR rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All i know is thats what I was told use use in place of the neon in my bass pedal triggered strobe circuit project.

circuit seen here
https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/strobe.htm

neon is L1

im not sure where to get this scr... I have plugged it into all my electronic sites for ordering parts and nothing came up.

the goal is to use a piezo trigger to trigger an SCR which will close the contact of the neon making the strobe trigger once every hit.

well if i cant find this 106B or C SCR than what else is there to use?

and if this SCR only has 3 leads how to i wire it between the 2 leads of the piezo and the 2 leads of the neon spot?

A 400 volt, 100mA SCR (to-92 case) should work, if an SCR is the right device to use. How much voltage comes out of the piezo trigger? If it is the type used to ignite propane stoves, it will blow up the SCR.

Look for C106B , it's a older part, but still made by many. I think it was originally made by GE or maybe Motorola. It's a garden variety SCR, 4 amp, 200 V part, in the "B" designation. Used in light dimmers, etc. There are lots of package and lead variations, identified by numers after the "B", so check the datasheet of whoevers version you get.

Here is another circuit, with remote operation via optoisolator. May be more suitable to your planned use. It comes with an explanation of how it works, and how to build etc.

**broken link removed**

Russlk said:
A 400 volt, 100mA SCR (to-92 case) should work, if an SCR is the right device to use. How much voltage comes out of the piezo trigger? If it is the type used to ignite propane stoves, it will blow up the SCR.

the trigger piezo is from allelectronics.com item PE-35
i have no idea what voltage it makes...i should get the tester on it

looking at jameco.com i turned up this scr

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/s...storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=14736

it should work, right?

Last edited:
I got my SCRs in with the order for the power supply

They didn't have the C106B but they did have a few C106BC SCRS rated at 200V and 4A. Here's the data sheet:

**broken link removed**

These SCRs have 3 leads, the Trigger has 2 leads, and the Neon on the strobe circuit has two leads.

How would I wire the SCR to trigger in place of the neon?

I was thinking something like this.

I normally don't work with SCRs though so I could be totally off on that one

Attachments

• Transistor strobe.JPG
    Transistor strobe.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 336
moody07747 said:
if this SCR only has 3 leads how to i wire it between the 2 leads of the piezo and the 2 leads of the neon spot?
One wire is the input from the piezo. Another wire is the output to the SCR and the 3rd wire is common to both input and output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back