Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100mhz oscillator circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray5596

Greetings from a new guy. I am looking for a reasonably stable 100mhz oscillator circuit. (Any frequency from 90 to 105mhz would work well.) My application is for a portable spectrum analyzer that is driven by a YIG (and lacks a tracking generator) so at lower frequencies, it drifts a bit. I plan to use this oscillator to generate a marker signal for a reference in the FM range. Any help or alternate ideas would be appreciated.

I assume you mean megahertz not millihertz.

Is there some reason not to use an off-the-shelf crystal oscillator module? For example, Digi-Key sells many such units with some costing only a few dollars.

Sorry, I didn't proof-read my words very well. You are correct, I meant megahertz. (At 100 millahertz, I'd probably get the attention of an angry whale :) )

I'm looking for something simple so the idea of a pre-made crystal oscillator sounds great. However I have a few questions. Wouldn't it be a fairly low level output? In other words, wouldn't I have to take the output from it and use it to drive a transistor to get a strong enough signal for my analyzer? Or were you thinking about driving the analyzer directly instead of transmitting the signal thru the air?

gray5596 said:
I'm looking for something simple so the idea of a pre-made crystal oscillator sounds great. However I have a few questions. Wouldn't it be a fairly low level output? In other words, wouldn't I have to take the output from it and use it to drive a transistor to get a strong enough signal for my analyzer? Or were you thinking about driving the analyzer directly instead of transmitting the signal thru the air?
I did think you would be injecting the signal directly. So this is an analyzer with an antenna input?

One oscillator I looked at from Digi-Key (ECS-3951M/3953M-AU) has a 5V output. Attaching a short wire to the output should give a reasonable signal through the air for short distances, likely enough to be readily observed by the analyzer. Probably would also foul up FM reception at that frequency for a significant distance.

Last edited:
Boncuk said:
Best bet is a TCXO. They have an initial accuracy of +/- 1ppm.
TCXOs are good if you need that much stability. But they are more expensive and gray5596 stated he needed a "reasonably stable" oscillator which I interpreted to mean that the stability of a standard crystal oscilllator would suffice.

gray5596 will need to decide how much stability he needs (or wants to pay for).

Thanks for the ideas, you pointed me to a much easy solution.

I was trying to make this too hard by making it transmit thru the air, when all I had to do was take crutschow's advice and use a standard pre-made oscillator and feed this directly to the analyzer.

I experimented with a couple of different oscillators and it worked quite well. Mission accomplished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back