Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100Hz(required)-500kHz(uaximum) varying oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I need to control the cutoff frequency for several LP filters independently. Their cutoff frequency 1/100th of the input clock frequency. I need to try and find an oscillator/clock generator (preferably multiple clock signals in a single IC) that can go 100Hz and up (with max of 500kHz, but this maximum can be much MUCH MUCH MUCH lower). It needs to be programmable without external resistors or capacitors (I need the MCU to be able to control the frequency).

Anyone know of such a software-programmable low-frequency multiple-clock generator?

There are probably as many options as there are cross ties on the railroad tracks. The microprocessor itself is a candidate for producing a variable clock output. That output can feed a bank of flip-flops or counters which will provide outputs until the cows come home. There are also numerous serially programmable frequency synthesizers that cover DC to blue light.

The challenge is not in the minimum or maximum frequency but in the step size or granularity of the frequencies you want to produce.

Why does it seem like a waste? TO me it seems like the ultimate in flexibility...although you are wasting an MCU if that's what you are referring to.

Yes but using the PWM output can really limit your choice of frequency. I think it is better to create your own output based on loading a timer to a sepcific value with an auto reload and an output toggle.

dknguyen said:
Why does it seem like a waste? TO me it seems like the ultimate in flexibility...although you are wasting an MCU if that's what you are referring to.

In that you're wasting a useful piece of hardware, by using it for a purpose it's not very good for - far easier, and far more useful, to simply generate it in software. PWM modules are intended for a specific purpose, and they are excellent for that, but rather limited for other uses.

Oh, that's what I meant. Using PWM generated in software by an MCU. I have also noticed that PWM modules have a small range of frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back