Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1000V power supply with low amp rating...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

I require a 1000V power supply with a very low amp rating for my... needs.

It must put out over 1000V and must be built using a wall adapter.

Can you help me out?

[yes i know, high voltage, dangerous, etc etc straight answer plz!!!!]

I also need some very high voltage rated capacitors with small values, like 1nF or 1000pF

voltage rating must be over 10k volts

First you MUST say what you need this for. We have no idea what sort of regulation and ripple are needed. Is this even AC or DC? You must also state a specific current. "low amps" means nothing. 300mA is small beans for a 6V wall wart. 300mA @ 1000V is a huge power supply, well compared to a consumer wall wart. Large and small don't mean anything by themselves, it's all relative.

ok, i need this for a experiment for a marx generator. needs to be DC. Have around 2-10mA, and i can build any conponent. must be somewhat smoothed, yet not perfect. MUST have at least over 1000v output with 2-10 mA amp rating.

Well I was about to suggest a microwave oven Xformer, but that would require a steel strap and anchor screws or lots of duct tape to adhere it to a wall outlet!

A CCT inverter with a bridge rectifier or multiplier on the output.

HiTech said:
Well I was about to suggest a microwave oven Xformer, but that would require a steel strap and anchor screws or lots of duct tape to adhere it to a wall outlet!

Those put out 2kv RMS, and the signal is AC. The current is around 900ma, and will kill you if you made some sort of mistake. There is a way to limit the current, I know if you short circuit the primary it can trip a 15Amp Breaker.

Your spec of 1000 v @ 10 ma just might be at or over the limits of wall warts that I've seen. You indicate an output of 10 W implying an input of something greater than that to account for inefficiency. The ones I have around that are nearly too large to be wall warts are 12 vdc @ 700 ma. If the plan was to start at 12 vdc you'd need at least 1 amp - that's a lot for a wall wart though they may make them.

Amateur radio home brewers build supplies (but not from wall warts) that are 500 vdc to 4000 vdc at current ratings like 100 ma and up. You might take a look at what they do. I know that commercial supplies (usually for vacuum tube linear amplifiers) are more switched mode now. A friend of mine is designing a SMPS with 110 vac input, 480 vdc output for a tube amplifier. If he's got a concept complete and is willing to share it I'll pass it along.

1kV@10mA, that's 10W, more than I first thought.

This sounds like it's going to be a custom built power supply to me.

You could use a TV flyback driver but you'll probably need to wind a custom transformer.
http://www.powerlabs.org/flybackdriver.htm

well, ive never done this before, so I will take all suggestions hapily:D
(dunno if i spelled that right rofl)

I know this is dangerous, but I think with enough suggestions, I shall get a wider view of how and what to do.

this looks complicated, seeing ive never used transformers, and this flyback will be difficult to find i believe. Can you help me?

Why not just use a CCFL transformer? They're meant to be used like a flyback.

Good idea.

You might need to rewind it and use a different driver; also just make sure it's rated for more than 10W.

Neon lamps conduct at only 80-100 volts. CCFL transformers are designed for start conditions around 1000-1500 and running conditions in the 700-800 volt range. A true neon tube ballast might be too much, (massive over voltage)

Last edited:
Overclocked said:
Those put out 2kv RMS, and the signal is AC. The current is around 900ma, and will kill you if you made some sort of mistake. There is a way to limit the current, I know if you short circuit the primary it can trip a 15Amp Breaker.
Well he didn't specify AC or DC output, also stated that it must put out over 1000v, and then wants it to be "very low amperage". The whole request is rather vague if you ask me. Why people come in here often posting their requests with the lack of details is beyond me. Electronics is one of several fields that requires a fair amount of detailed specifics. A microwave oven xformer is over 1000v, 900ma is certainly low compared to 10amps, and duct tape will adhere it to a wall!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back