Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100 VAC drill at 110V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village_Idiot

Hello everyone,

I am currently away from the U.S. and in Japan. I find myself needing a Dremel type drill and I would like to buy one, however before I purchase it I wonder if I can reasonably expect to bring the drill back to the U.S. and get a good lifetime out of the tool or if I should expect to pretty much throw it away when I'm done using it here.

The drill is rated at 100v 50/60hz. It is variable speed (if that changes anything).

specs can be found here: **broken link removed**

Thanks.

any voltage would have tolerances.
Thus
I suppose that you can use it just like that in your homeland also.
You need not throw it.
All the best.

If you use a 100v ac drill on 110v ac allthough it might invalidate the warranty and outside manufacturers spec it'll still probably be fine with a 10% difference, particularly with speed control as you can just wind it down a little.
The part that would be subject to extra stress would be the speed control and emi suppression side, which probably has a sensible amount of headroom anyway.
Is the drill a brushed universal motor?

Edit: I just checked my dremel (its is a dremel) its 125w, I use mine for engraving and occaisonally for cleaning and polishing hydraulic valves, for this purpose its just about powerfull enough, the one you linked us too is only 50w, thats not a lot, depending what you want to do with it you might want to consider something beefier.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was thinking along similar lines, but it's good to see supporting opinions :)

Yeah, the power ratings of these are a little low when compared to the dremel drills. Maybe not a problem for what i need to do here, but it might make it less useful later on.

The variable speed controller inside the tool will be a phase angle TRIAC type, and means that for the bulk of operation you will have the speed turned down <max, so the average voltage to the motor is less than 100v anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back