Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

-10 to 10 gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

petesmc

How many OpAmps would I have to use to make a system that can range from -10 to 10 gain using only one potentiometer to control it? Don't tell me how to do it, just the number of Opamps. Oh, and no transistors.

Only one.

JimB

samcheetah said:
JimB said:
Only one.

JimB

i would like to know how would you do that

Simple, use an opamp in inverting configuration (he never specified it had to be non-inverting!) - use a 10K resistor as the input resistor, and a fixed 1K resistor (to give -10 gain) in series with a 99K variable resistor (to give +10 gain) as the feedback resistor.

To do it with a non-inverting design, give the opamp a gain of 10, and have a volume control feeding it - fit a fixed resistor in the ground connection of the volume control, to set the minimum attenuation to give an overall gain of -10.

Nigel I think you a bit confused. Gain for an inverting op amp: G = -Rf/Ri so you get G= -1/10 and G= -10/100 so you are going between -.1 and -10 gain not -10 an +10. Same problem with your non-inverting amp - you can't have an attenuator that gives negative gain.

I finally found **broken link removed**. I knew I had seen it somewhere. Below is a slightly modified version that uses a pot to vary the gain.

Attachments

• inv_noninv_gain_of_10.gif
    inv_noninv_gain_of_10.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 823
bmcculla said:
Nigel I think you a bit confused. Gain for an inverting op amp: G = -Rf/Ri so you get G= -1/10 and G= -10/100 so you are going between -.1 and -10 gain not -10 an +10. Same problem with your non-inverting amp - you can't have an attenuator that gives negative gain.

I wasn't confused?, but I am now!.

Both suggestions I gave would give adjustable gains from -10 times (attenutation) to +10 times (amplification).

An attenuator (by definition) gives attenuation (negative gain = a loss).

You're possably talking about inverting?, which he never mentioned, and I don't see implied in his question?.

Thanks Ron H. I was thinking about a modified diff amp but couldn't quite get it.

Nigel: I think we just have a symantics problem - two different ways to talk about gain. The signal processing definition of gain is output over input: Vout/Vin. This definition works out nicely because you just multiply your input voltage by G to get output voltage. Using this definition Attenuators have a G of less than one - for G = .5 a 1V input produces a .5V output. When you have a negative gain there is an inversion - for G = -1 a 1V input gives a -1V output.

I also just noticed that I got the second gain calculation upside down it should be -100/10 => G=-10.

Here is what I had in mind:

The attenuator puts varying amouts of signal to the two inputs of the differential amplifier.
When the two inputs are equal, there is no output (gain = 0).
When there is more signal to the non-inverting input the gain is +Ve.
When there is more signal to the inverting input the gain is -Ve.

Set the amplifier input and feedback resistors to give the required gain, which depends on the attenuator losses and the output required.

JimB

Attachments

• -10__10_amp.jpg
    -10__10_amp.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 810
I think you're all making this far too difficult?.

As I understood the question, he wanted either a gain of 10, or an attenuation of 10, and fully variable between the two options - which is what I provided, either inverting or not, with one opamp.

The schemes for changing from inverting to not-inverting are flawed, because what happens when you get to the balance point - no output at all!.

Perhaps 'petesmc' should clarify the question further - presumably it's a school question?.

I'm too are confused. What I understand a negative sign for gain means a signal invertion. So gain=-10 means the output is ten times the input but inverted.

Can gain ever be negative? How comes people suddenly find a new meaning for negative gain to mean a loss?

eblc1388 said:
Can gain ever be negative? How comes people suddenly find a new meaning for negative gain to mean a loss?

I think you're asking the wrong way round?, it should be 'how come people suddenly find a new meaning for -10 as inverted?' :lol:

It comes from gain as dB, -3dB is a negative change in gain, and +3dB a positive one, not a change in polarity - mostly polarity is totally irrelevent (unless you're talking DC amplifiers of course!).

But, as very often, too little information in the question!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
But, as very often, too little information in the question!.

The only information missing from petesmc's original post is what happens when we reach gain=1 from gain=+10 by adjusting the potentiometer. Does it increases again but with an inverted output or does it goes pass G=1 towards G=0 which is the attentuation zone by normal understanding.

The schematics posted so far behaves like the latter and goes all the ways to G=0, then change sign and goes back up again to -10.

Does a circuit exists that goes from G=10 to G=1 and then from G=-1 goes to G=-10?

I don't think so because there is an abrupt sign change from +1 to -1 and this means a singularity somewhere.

By Gain of -10 to 10 I meant that inverting.

Hence, Gain = 1, Vin = Vout,
Gain = 0.5 , Vout = Vin / 2

Gain = -1 Vout = -Vin

Gain = 0, Vout = 0

It seems there are two different conventions going on, of which I had no idea that existed. I've always used - to mean inverting.

Looks like some good ciruits have popped up that i should try and remember. Going to go simulate them now and see how they work out.

When I first read the original post, I jumped to the conclusion that the gain was to be variable from -10dB to +10dB.

It later occured to me that the gain was to be variable from -10 to +10. Not the same as the first statement.

When using dB, a negative gain is attenuation, a reduction in power.
A positive gain is a gain in power.

A negative gain when just specifying a numerical value infers that the amplifier is inverting, ie when the input goes more positive, the output goes more negative.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back