10 MHz only WWW time signal receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I want to implement a receiver to get only the time signal from WWW (10 MHz). Proof of a concept is the goal.

Since it is not the main point in my project I am looking for a "sure fire" circuit not needing more than the usual debugging.

I run across one here: **broken link removed**

My questions:

A) Dual MOSFET 40673 transistors are discontinued ones, not obtainable locally and hard to get (time and $$$$$$$$). Is it any modern one which I could use to replace them in the front end section?.

B) Regarding the ferrite toroids I have in my junkbox: how could I know if any one match the reccomended ones?

C) Is there any reason to use such an elaborate audio amplifier circuit or could it be replaced by something based on a audio amp IC?

D) Can anyone suggest another circuit, similar or SIMPLER, which I could build but "sure fire" granted?

Please do not propose alternatives other than RF receivers. Proof of the concept in play requires it!

(Yes I know that GPS exists. I really know that!) My RF practice is lost in time and have not time nor interest in experimenting. At least not this time.

Thanks for any help. I will certainly appreciate that.

I think that this example circuit that you propose is too complicated for the basic job it must do, and if you want it bulletproof you should avoid a TRF receiver of this type. The most reliable and sure-fire receiver architecture is the super-heterodyne. That is why it is the most popular configuration.

You might want to consider using a single chip AM receiver suited to 10MHz operation. I googled and found one or two examples that include application circuits:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/07/TEA5551T.pdf
or
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/07/TDA1072A_CNV_2.pdf
(althought the TDA1072 doesn't mention an input frequency range to 10MHz so not sure it is good).

Hi Agustín,

First question: See what you can find, if it has two gates it will do.
BF961's and BF981's will probably work even better
than the 40673's.

Second question: None of the toroids in your junkbox are suitable, that's
why it's called the junkbox.
The T-cores are metal powdered cores, the FT-cores
are ferrite cores.

**broken link removed**

Third question: You don't actually need the audio amplifier, get the
circuit working and decide later if you want to add one.

This is what a T50-2 looks like.

on1aag.

Attachments

• AGF00017.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 439
  • AGF00018.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 340
Are you expecting a good signal most of the time? You're a long way from Colorado Springs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…