Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1 stepper two drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmumby

Anyone have any theory's on how to drive one stepper motor but off two driver circuits.

To clarify things a bit. I have copier that drives a stepper motor. I need to drive the same motor from another circuit. I was going to t into the logic of the board but this is not possible and the motor is driven directly from a control board.

The motor voltage is 24v. I can drive the motor via a pic and stepper motor driver but if i connect both at the same time I would expect smoke as a result.

thanks,

jason

Assuming they are uni-polar? (at least five wires) then you can drive them from simple open-collector NPN transistors (or FET's) - this means no smoke even if they do both try and drive at the same time. Obviously BOTH sets of drivers need to be like this!.

A dual throw, 4 pole relay on the phase wires would do that. Use the +24 from the copier so don’t switch those wires.

I like what your saying, so I should switch A-A and B-B with the relay? Im driving the motor with stepper motor driver chip, should I pick up the 24volts from the original driver and just feed that into my driver chip or will that not be necessary. Just hook up the phases?

If your driver wants 24V for bipolar or sense you can take it from the copier and ground in common with your circuit.

hi
i am working on a project where i have to drive a stepper motor with the help of a PLC. I have ControlLogix 5000 PLC with me.What stepper motor driver should i select?moreover how do i program the stepper motor for clockwise and anticlockwise rotations????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back