Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1 MW E-Cat Cold Fusion Device Test Successful

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
I thought the community might be interested in this.

On October 28, 2011, Andrea Rossi demonstrated his 1 megawatt E-Cat system to his first customer, who had engineers/scientists on hand to test/validate its performance. Due to a glitch, it provided 479 kW of continuous power for 5.5 hours during the self-sustained mode.

Very interesting in deed!

Now does anyone have a workable blueprint and parts list for a DIY version? :eek:

Do you think this is completely legitimate?

$100 construction cost per KW is beyond belief. My electric bill (excluding a fixed basic cost) is $7.80 per KWH. Break even would be in less than 13 hours!

Maybe this will make Canada and USA cancel the humongous pipeline that is being planned between our countries.

John

Edit: See correctionl below, post #8. Cost is $.13 per KWH.

Last edited:
My electric bill (excluding a fixed basic cost) is $7.80 per KWH.

Where and how are you managing to get billed to the sum of $7.80 an KWH? I think I pay around 10 cents a KWH.

At $7.80 a KWH running a gasoline powered portable generator at an outrageous $10 a gallon would still average out to be cheaper.

Where and how are you managing to get billed to the sum of $7.80 an KWH? I think I pay around 10 cents a KWH.

At $7.80 a KWH running a gasoline powered portable generator at an outrageous $10 a gallon would still average out to be cheaper.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. you must be out in the middle of nowhere for electricity to cost THAT much! Maybe you meant 7.8 cents a KWH?

OOPS, make that $0.13 per KWH. I erroneously inverted the fraction. It is still expensive, though.

It is a rural electric cooperative. That is the all-up cost, minus a $20 monthly service fee, that I pay. No other options, except wind, solar, and steam/wood burning. I have been looking for a moderate cost heat to electric conversion, but none exist. Real steam is out of the question (USA liability laws) and Stirling etc. are not practical. With the Emerald Ash Borer and various invasive plants killing other hardwoods, I literally have more wood (mostly ash) than I can burn.

Still, $100 per KWH construction is still cheap.

Sorry about the stupid calculation.

John

From the "news release" page;
"Early this year Andrea Rossi announced his plans to construct and test the world's first one megawatt cold fusion plant. The plant would utilize his E-Cat (Energy Catalyzer) technology that utilizes tiny quantities of nickel powder and hydrogen gas as fuel, while producing large amounts of energy in the form of heat. Importantly, the energy is produced without emitting any pollution, utilizing any radioactive materials, or producing any nuclear waste. Simply put, the E-Cat offers the world a source of cheap, safe, and clean energy. Although the exact plans for the launch of the technology were adjusted a few times throughout the course of this year, October 28th, 2011 was settled on for the date of the official test of the one megawatt plant by the first customer."

It's a crock. It uses a reaction of the nickel powder and hydrogen to generate heat, which is soon used (ie a few hours).

From Wiki;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Catalyzer
"On October 28, 2011, Rossi claimed that he had completed a successful 5.5 hour test of a self-sustaining heat generator that produced 470 kW, and that he had made a sale to an undisclosed customer. However, the independent observers of the test were not allowed to make their own measurements nor closely scrutinize the company's procedures.[12] Mark Gibbs of Forbes commented: "until a verifiably objective analysis is conducted by an independent third party that confirms the results match the claims there’s no real news".

"As Ny Teknik reports, Peter Ekström, lecturer at the Department of Nuclear Physics at Lund University in Sweden, concluded in May 2011, "I am convinced that the whole story is one big scam, and that it will be revealed in less than one year."

I just can't believe that adding hydrogen to a metal powder causes a "nuclear" reaction... A short-term chemical reaction? For sure.

Like the Steorn scam and others they all rely on some complex technology that is hard to measure and produces something out, with little examination of what goes IN to get that something out... :(

Secret demonstration for a secret client? And it's a "success"?
I got a bridge I want to sell you.

E-cat sounds an awful lot like Blacklight Power, another company claiming to have magic nickle powder that produces miraculous amounts of energy. In fact, Randell Mills has been making these claims for over 20 years now - without ever producing a working generator.

A common thing between the two is this nickle powder. "Raney nickle" is a pure nickle powder sold as a catalyst - but it is volatile enough to explode simply by not being stored correctly. Rossi's big problem he says he's trying to overcome is the tendency for "runaway" reactions, which is what happens with Raney nickle. Blacklight was originally claiming the Raney nickle was a "catalyst", now they call it a "catalyst/fuel" because it is used up in the reaction.

An absolutely mind-boggling development with the perpetual motion cranks in recent years is to use input power (!) and then just point to some meters and say "Oh, look, see? The output is more than the input!" They do this time and again and somehow never bother to connect that surplus output power to the input to run the thing on its own. Both E-cat and BLP require input power and blind faith in someone else's meters.

I just can't believe that adding hydrogen to a metal powder causes a "nuclear" reaction... A short-term chemical reaction? For sure.

It wouldnt cause a nuclear reaction as such, cold fusion is a name that was given to a process that occours when you place 2 electrodes very close together underwater and apply power.
What happens is that you end up with a plasma arc underwater, the electrolysis produces hydrogen + oxygen, due to the electrodes being so close together the H and O2 recombine to water giving off there energy as heat. This causes a spiral effect until the water boils, it actually boils very quickly so usually you need it under pressure to work for a little while.

Now, if you add metals to the mix, other things start happening. in the case of nickel. When hydrogen comes into contact with nickel it absorbes the hydrogen into itself, and gains an electron, this happens over and over untill the nuclius of the nickel atom becomes a copper atom. theres a bit more to it but thats basically the theory. By transforming a metal to another metal a "nuclear" reaction has taken place. As this transformation takes place a lot of heat is produced and if its focused enough it can continually break down water molecules to get a sustainable hydrogen source.

Once the Nickel is gone, end of demo

Last edited:
To turn nickle into copper IS a nuclear reaction, and that's very unlikely to happen at these energy levels.

The power output isn't important unless you take into account the input and output elements..

Sounds to me like they've scale up a lead acid battery a few thousand times without account for the materials costs.

Who care if an engine can run off pure molecular gold and produce a large amount of power out. You still have to feed it gold worth more..

Last edited:
Who care if an engine can run off pure molecular gold and produce a large amount of power out.

Well, physicists would care if they could produce more energy than can be accounted for by chemical processes - this is essentially what Rossi is claiming.

I don't see it, though. If you dig through what little they released about this test it looks like they ran 400 kw into it for a few hours and then got 400 kw out of it for a few hours. May as well be your lead battery. On top of that, witnesses say Rossi kept the noisy 400 kw genset running the whole time the E-cat was in "self sustaining" mode. Fishy.

No duffy, you don't understand... The energy HAS to come from somewhere. Fuel in energy out, waste out. That equation is not balanced currently, it's either inefficient, wasteful, or the raw fuel itself requires too much vestment to produce even with 100% enegy output based on market prices for the raw materials or energies required to create the materials.

No Sceadwian, you don't understand. If it was possible to produce more energy than could be accounted for by chemical processes, then it would have to come from nuclear processes. Physicists would certainly be interested if such a thing happened at these energy levels, even if it used gold.

This is essentially what Rossi is claiming. The problem is the coulomb barrier, which is magnitudes of order away from what can be achieved with chemical processes.

Well this has popped up on other forums and is one of the BIGGEST cons in recent times. In the test was a container with a 500kw generator which they reckoned they needed to start the process but that said genset WAS running the whole time so where did all that magic power come from eh.......

Well this has popped up on other forums and is one of the BIGGEST cons in recent times. In the test was a container with a 500kw generator which they reckoned they needed to start the process but that said genset WAS running the whole time so where did all that magic power come from eh.......

LOL. The genset was apparently running for "safety reasons". Quite coincidental is the fact that the Fusion Device could only manage what the genset could deliver: 500KW. Not the 1MW as promised. Unit was in " self-sustained mode" due to some technical problems. LOL.

This is YET another con like these:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

This is old stuff that suckers always fall for....:eek: Con artists have been doing this for years...all they have done now is upped their game with the help of the Internet.

You will never hear of Andrea Ross again after his scheme crashes in flames. Probably taking investors down with him.

I have a hat I will eat if I am wrong on this :D

Cheers,
TV Tech

Last edited:
LOL.

This is old stuff that suckers always fall for....:eek: Con artists have been doing this for years...all they have done now is upped their game with the help of the Internet.

You will never hear of Andrea Ross again after his scheme crashes in flames. Probably taking investors down with him.

I have a hat I will eat if I am wrong on this :D

Cheers,
TV Tech

If you like I can mail you a bit of leather to chew on and whats the bet all those folks that believe this is
true won't accept that bit of leather I can mail.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back