Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.5kw amplifier Idea/comment/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
jumides said:
I'm searching for audio compressor,(got an idea from other thread) and found this site ********
could it be really 1.5kw amplifier? . I never encounter with that hi power amplifier.
edit:
sorry for deleting link

I think this the right way google for "elliot sound"

Go into the "project" then "amplifiers an accesories" , 1.5 kw amplifier.

Hi jumides,

Copyright doesn't mean you can't link to a site. It just means that you can't pretend that what they have done was done by you, or sell it, or anything like that. For instance, you wouldn't be allowed to post their pictures without their permission, but linking should be no problem. In fact, most webmasters/site owners want as much traffic as they can get.

Note: I am not a lawyer. This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

Torben

i have a 1500watt qsc amp sitting right next to me. they make them even more powerfull than that

Torben said:
Hi jumides,

Copyright doesn't mean you can't link to a site. It just means that you can't pretend that what they have done was done by you, or sell it, or anything like that. For instance, you wouldn't be allowed to post their pictures without their permission, but linking should be no problem. In fact, most webmasters/site owners want as much traffic as they can get.

Note: I am not a lawyer. This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

Torben

hi torben
thanks
I thought I'm violating copyright.
here' s the "link" **broken link removed**

gaston said:
i have a 1500watt qsc amp sitting right next to me. they make them even more powerfull than that
I wish to have that one.
one question, what software can simulate that kind of hi power amp?
last amp. that I assemble are about 200 watts RMS.

jumides said:
hi torben
thanks
I thought I'm violating copyright.
here' s the "link" **broken link removed**

You might try reading the article fully, he was making fun of people asking for higher and higher powered amplifiers, not offering a DIY design.

I wish to have that one.

Check out the Behringer power amplifiers, they appear to be made in the same Chinese factories as QSC, and are only a fraction of the price:

2400W £215, 1400W £185

one question, what software can simulate that kind of hi power amp?
last amp. that I assemble are about 200 watts RMS.

Any could, but why would you want to?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Any could, but why would you want to?.

I want to see voltage across the circuit so it became my reference. In case that I need to make/assemble that.

Check out the Behringer power amplifiers, they appear to be made in the same Chinese factories as QSC, and are only a fraction of the price:

2400W £215, 1400W £185

I'm happy to build that amplifier(1.5kw) with myself ,that case it will upgrade my knowledge in repairing .

thanks for the reply

What 1k5W RMS?

Not really possible.

You couldn't do it in the US unless you use a 240V outlet and you might still struggle here in the UK with a 13A outlet.

I don't think they are any speakers that can actually handle tha amount of power.

The only application I can think for for an amplifier this powerful is a large PA system and the output voltage is distributed at 100V and stepped down by lots of little transformers.

Hero999 said:
What 1k5W RMS?

Not really possible.

Perfectly possible.

You couldn't do it in the US unless you use a 240V outlet and you might still struggle here in the UK with a 13A outlet.

Trivial in the UK, and I even posted the price for a 2400W RMS amplifier.

I don't think they are any speakers that can actually handle tha amount of power.

If not, you use series/parallel combinations. The 2400W amplifier is 2400W RMS in to 4 ohms, bridged mono. In stereo it's rated at 1200W RMS per channel in to 2 ohms.

But you can get 1000W+ single PA drivers.

The only application I can think for for an amplifier this powerful is a large PA system and the output voltage is distributed at 100V and stepped down by lots of little transformers.

You have no imagination! - they are commonplace in band PA systems, often used in multiples as well - 20 or 30 KW wouldn't be considered excessive for a local band these days.

I won't get into the game of finding an amplifier with a very high power output.

But I found the MTX Jackhammer sub-woofer speaker. It is 22" in diameter, weighs 369 pounds and is rated at 6000W RMS.
Its cone moves 5" p-p.

Attachments

• MTX Jackhammer.JPG
    MTX Jackhammer.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 846
I have a brand new 18" speaker that is rated at 1800W RMS. I could plug it into my 120VAC mains and blow out all the windows in my neighbourhood. I can hardly lift it. I have never tried it. I will sell it at the next "car max SPL contest" in my city.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Perfectly possible.

Trivial in the UK, and I even posted the price for a 2400W RMS amplifier.
Was it a class D amplifier?

Did it run from an industiral 16A socket or a domestic 13A socket?

Last edited:
I think a lot of manufacturers "frig" the power specs for their amplifiers. Sure it'll push out 1.5KW... but the audio will look more like a square wave than anything else. Thanks for that.

Brian

There should be some governing rules when it comes to specs I think. Manufacturers should have to quote power outputs at the same level of distortion. That way you don't get away with fooling poor unsuspecting customers into buying a high power NOISE generator.

Brian

audioguru said:
I have a brand new 18" speaker that is rated at 1800W RMS. I could plug it into my 120VAC mains and blow out all the windows in my neighbourhood.

It'd be great if there was such a thing as "directional" speakers with that kind of power capability. We have a noisy neighbour opposite us who spends the day screeching at her kids. I'd like to record it all, and play it back at her bedroom during the night!

One day...

Brian

Brian Hoskins said:
It'd be great if there was such a thing as "directional" speakers with that kind of power capability. We have a noisy neighbour opposite us who spends the day screeching at her kids. I'd like to record it all, and play it back at her bedroom during the night!

One day...

Brian
It's called too many damn humans, so a lot of people are forced to live within 1 wall of another anonymous person(s). Not to mention their apartment dwellers might be drunk crackheads that forget to put out their rock one night and burn down your apartment plus 5+ others.

Brian Hoskins said:
I think a lot of manufacturers "frig" the power specs for their amplifiers. Sure it'll push out 1.5KW... but the audio will look more like a square wave than anything else. Thanks for that.

Brian
No.
This is a properly designed and spec'd amplifier design.
Its power supply is plus and minus 120VDC at full power into a 4 ohm speaker.
The p-p voltage is 220V for a pure sine-wave at 1500W into 4 ohms. 20V extra is allowed for "overhead" for very low distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back