Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.5 Volt Battery Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodneyB

I am wanting to build a Battery charger for a 1.5 volt AA Battery. Can any one assist with a circuit diagram.

Best wishes

Rodney

What type of battery (i.e. battery chemistry)? Not all types are chargeable. Those that are have different charging regimes. The most common '1.5V' cells are alkaline or zinc-carbon; neither of which is generally regarded as chargeable.

NiMh or NiCd Battery I will use 2 x 1.2 Volts And then regulate it down to 1.5 Volts so I need a circuit to charge these Batteries

Good to see you back, RodneyB!

So, let me get this straight:

You're using 2 x 1.2 VDC Nixx batteries (presumably in parallel to get 2.4VDC), whose output you are then regulating down to 1.5VDC. Is that correct?

And you the want a circuit to charge the 2.4VDC battery set, right? I ask because in your first post you asked for a 1.5VDC charger circuit.

In either case, Try GOOGLING "nicd battery charger circuit diagram" and take your pick...

We'd be glad to critique your selection and offer suggestions.

Unless you're doing this simply as a learning experience it would be simpler/cheaper to buy a charger.

The two battery cells will have a total voltage that drops to 2.0V so I hope you are using a "low-dropout' 1.5V voltage regulator.

I would be putting the 2 x 1.2 Volt NICAD batteries in series to get the 2.4 Volts then I will regulate it Down to 1.5 Volts, I am driving a clock which needs 1.5 Volts. So I am going to need to charge the batteries at 2.4 Volts then regulate to 1.5 Volts. The low drop out voltage regulator is the next challange

A 1.2V Ni-Cad cell is close to 1.4V when it is fully charged. A discharged cell is 0V to 1.0V so the charger needs a current-limiter.

Ni-Cads are old fashioned and self-discharge quickly in 2 weeks to one month. Modern Ni-MH cells hold their charge for 1 year.

Lots of semiconductor manufacturers make 1.5V low dropout regulators.

Thank you for the advice, I will go and see what is available in our shops tomorrow and then continue with this project

What kind of clock is it ? If it's one which takes an AA battery and lasts a couple of years from that then you won't have much luck with NiCd and NiMh to be honest with you.

Many digital clocks run happily from an AA cell until the volts drop to ~1V, so a single NiMH cell would probably do, providing it is a low self-discharge current type. Personally, I'd use an alkaline cell and forget the charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back