Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0 to 50 mA current source

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasjoh

Hi.
I like to build a current source that give me an adjustable output of + and - 0 to 50 mA.

This is for controlling/testing a proportional valve.

Spec:
100 mA into 50 ohms
10 mA into 400 ohms
Source battery 9V Alkaline

I will gratefully appreciate any input here!

Best Regards
Johan

+ and - 0 to 50 mA.
That won't be able to drive '100mA into 50 ohms' :confused:
Be aware if the battery is a PP3 it will have only a short life driving 100mA; or were you proposing to use a stack of AA cells or bigger?
I'm sure we can come up with a circuit.

If I understand correctly, you want a reversible current source 0-100mA from a 9V battery. The polarity changing can be done with a DPDT switch between the load and the current source (or any number of other methods), and the current source can be accomplished using an opamp current source with voltage reference and shunt resistor (similar to attached image - can make use of a PNP or PFET [& swap opamp inputs] to ease battery voltage requirement).

Regarding battery life, an alkaline 9V battery should last in excess of 3 hours at 100mA drain and still be above the required 5V (100mA into 50ohms). https://www.powerstream.com/9V-Alkaline-tests.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back