Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ZILOG ESCALATOR programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrfro

hi guys wutsup! am working on a new project that requires zilog programming, the prototype is all set to go but i'm having difficulty with the program itself, heres the concept:

The prototype works on the idea of an escalator, but with a minor change; it has two infrared sensors (one on the bottom platform, the other in the middle of the escalator)

The sensor in the platform is activated when it detects an object runing a motor for a certain period of time (assuming an upward movement of direction) controlled by the motor driver and a zilog microcontroller.

The escalator will automatically stop after the specified period of time only when the object doesnt pass the second sensor.

When the object passes and is detected by the second sensor, it is activated to run the for an additional period of time (shorter than the first programmed timer) and eventually cause the motor to stop running at the execution of the second timer.

Well, all thats lacking is the program to load to run it, using Zilog. i've set a couple of programs but all failed.

i'd appreciate help from anyone out there

maraming salamat <thanx alot>

You gave a lot of information, unfortunately very little is useful to answering the question.

So the problem is that you cannot load your firmware on the chip or that the program you are running isn't working as expected?

Which specific microcontroller are you using?
What is the schematic for your setup of the microcontroller?
Which programmer are you trying to use?
What is the error you are receiving?

"The escalator will automatically stop after the specified period of time only when the object doesnt pass the second sensor.

When the object passes and is detected by the second sensor, it is activated to run the for an additional period of time (shorter than the first programmed timer) and eventually cause the motor to stop running at the execution of the second timer."
The idea of timing the the ride on the escalator with a sensor is kinda unrealistic. What if the motor is NEW then timing is ok Then when motor wheres or is off by a second and there is someone on it it will fail to notice them in time.

your best bet would be to have a few sensors. Like 1 on bottom and 1 on top or at least 1 foot above. The first one on the bottom and be used as a counter to determine current location on the lift and the other can be used to see if a rider has reached a certain spot.

Just like a scroll wheel on a mouse you can count the spins it make(like in bills Mongoose ) I think its called or he calls it a:
optical rotation sensors

Thats the first one to determine the current location then the other can be the same as you said to see if a person has reached a certain area. If not then stop. It will work way better than timing it. Since it can give you exact position and 100% same result all the time.

EDIT
Extra thought i will add is if you use the "optical rotation sensors" you can monitor the motor speed and determine if it is getting old and in need of a replacement.

Last edited:
So the problem is that you cannot load your firmware on the chip or that the program you are running isn't working as expected?

the latter

Which specific microcontroller are you using?
What is the schematic for your setup of the microcontroller?
Which programmer are you trying to use?
What is the error you are receiving?

i'll get back at u with the stats & shcematics, i'm using zilog, i'm quite new at it though am used to pic's
tnx

The idea of timing the the ride on the escalator with a sensor is kinda unrealistic. What if the motor is NEW then timing is ok Then when motor wheres or is off by a second and there is someone on it it will fail to notice them in time.
i appreciate that but i doubt that we'll keep it running for a long time :eek: till april i suppose

your best bet would be to have a few sensors. Like 1 on bottom and 1 on top or at least 1 foot above. The first one on the bottom and be used as a counter to determine current location on the lift and the other can be used to see if a rider has reached a certain spot.

Thats the first one to determine the current location then the other can be the same as you said to see if a person has reached a certain area. If not then stop. It will work way better than timing it. Since it can give you exact position and 100% same result all the time.

good thought, its what i had in mind at first but its already been done. & its quite difficult finding the right parts in this area of the country.
besides that evrything is all set, am still doin a lil research on zilog coz am used to programming pic's (its what we did last year), zilog is something they want us to understand for ourselves <but am not complaining>

i'll post the program later by the end of this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back