Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

zigbee configuration understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurabh17g

Hello,
I have two zigbee modules and I want to configure one as coordinator and other as end device. I have checked the module sheet by maxstream and they have addressing options as PAN ID, channel and address.
I am not able to understand the difference between PAN ID and address.
Also, i m unsure about what channel is? and what is its necessity?
Can anybody help me.

If I remember it correctly the PAN ID identifies the network. That keeps you and the guy next door from sharing the same network. The address identifies nodes on your network.

The channel has to do with the frequency used by the net. There are several frequencies (channels) that are very close together. The net coordinator may sample each of them to determine which has the least traffic . Some protocols even allow radios to change channels.

Having said that I need to point out that unless you are working on a device that is intended for use with a existing Zigbee profile you may not want to use ZigBee. If you are building all the devices on your net (no purchased ZigBee node) then you do not need ZigBee.

@3v0 : thanks a lot. But i dint understand this "Having said that I need to point out that unless you are working on a device that is intended for use with a existing Zigbee profile you may not want to use ZigBee. If you are building all the devices on your net (no purchased ZigBee node) then you do not need ZigBee."

@wombweller: thanks to u as well. It is interesting and useful also!
But it was fixed to arduino board. I have my own boards. I just want to look at what is used in those arduio board.
Will u plz give me pointers to download that video. But sometimes sound goes low and cursor gets invisible. so i want to download it.

If all you are doing is passing data between two nodes you do not need to use the ZigBee protocol. It is intended for complex mesh networks with lots of modes made by manufactures that follow the standard.

If you are using only 2 XBee's I believe they come programmed with a point to point communication protocol that should do what you want.

I have setup a ZigBee net but my knowledge of XBee is 2nd hand.

@3v0
is point to point protocol similar to RS232?
I mean kind of wireless RS232?

You can think of it that way if you like. What you send to one radio shows up on the other.
I did a bit of research for you.

Configuring Xbees

above link said:
To begin, let's just talk about a brand new Xbee. More than likely your Xbee still has the factory settings if your reading this. So you should be set to a 9600 baud. No flow control. Data bits 8. No parity. With 1 stop bit.

If you want to make you life easy Sparkfun has a USB to XBEE XBEE EXPLORER USB and a 5V to 3.3V adaptor board XBEE EXPLORER REGULATED. If you do not need USB use two of the XBEE EXPLORER REGULATED boards.

Last edited:
I want to prepare zigbee programming board myself instead of relying on arduino boards. If i use X CTU software for programming, then the pin connections between 9 pin serial port (RXD,TXD,GND) and zigbee are fine or other pins also need to be connected? and if so, which pins of zigbee module is to be connected to serial port? Do the other hardware consist anything other than level converter ic connected between PC and zigbee module?

The boards from sparkfun are not arduino boards. They just provide USB connectivity and 3.3V to 5V interfacing. They are used in the link I posted.

I have not worked with XBee myself. I use Zigbee radios from microchip. But I will ask another member who has XBee's to answer the connection question.

Connecting X-Bee is easy, just power up the module and connect the RX and TX lines of a pair and they work as wireless serial...

@mike
is it fine if only four pins(Tx,Rx,Vcc,Gnd) are connected to respective pins of PC? or i need to connect some extra pins(RTS,CTS,etc) for PROGRAMMING zigbee module. what level shifters are normally preferred to convert level of PC to levels of zigbee? Is there any other hardware requirement other than level shifter and 4 zigbee pins?

If your hardware supports RTS, CTS, etc then connect them, otherwise you do not need to. The X-Bee modules do not need to be programmed as they come ready to go. I have use a simple resistor to "shift" RS-232 to levels needed by the X-Bee module, and most PC's will see X-Bee signals as correct levels

Ok Mike,

I m giving the programming connections. Please check them -

PC XBee
TX Rx
RX Tx
Gnd gnd

but i do not know where to connect RTS and CTS pins of zigbee module
do i directly connect them as follows:

PC XBee
RTS RTS
CTS CTS

"The X-Bee modules do not need to be programmed as they come ready to go."
There are ways to configure modules as coordinator, end device and router.
Also, we have to setup addresses and other stuff to make a network.
For that, I need to program the modules.
So, i m asking u about programming Xbee

There are ways to configure modules as coordinator, end device and router.
Also, we have to setup addresses and other stuff to make a network.
For that, I need to program the modules.
So, i m asking u about programming Xbee

Refer to the documentation for that information

Also note the I am talking about X-Bee and you are refering to Zig-bee

Last edited:
@Mike
i m refering the documentation given at **broken link removed** since i m using those modules. But its just mentioned that DTR and CTS need to be connected.
Well, I am preparing the connections by concepts and analogies. Zigbee is communication is just RS 232. So, serial port (PC) connections and zigbee connections are just like null modem. By referring this link http://www.home-machine-shop.com/bits/NULL_MODEM_CABLE.jpg and **broken link removed**, I sorted out following connections for my board:

zigbee RS232
9(DTR) DCD,DSR(1,6)
16(RTS) CTS(8)
Tx Rx
Rx Tx
Gnd Gnd

these connections are done thru a level shifter interface like 3223 between PC and zigbee.
Just want to know whether its fine or any thing else is needed

Last edited:
Pb Zigbee and RS232 Power Harvester beginner

Hi

I was able to connect to connect to my xbee usb module by using X-CTU..
Then I have made a change of the XB24 model and use the the function XBEE 803.15.4 RS232 Power harvester.
Now I can not connect to the modem… any idee or settings I should use . change to get access with X-CTU again ?

Txs in advance, yann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back