Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ZIF Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevors

Hi All,
Does anybody know where I can buy some relatively cheap ZIF sockets. I'm only a beginner on micrcontrollers and have chosen to use the 16F84 even though these are more expensive than others, and I've just broken 2 pins off already. I'm in South Africa and they sell here for about $10 which is quite expensive.

Trevors said:
Hi All,
Does anybody know where I can buy some relatively cheap ZIF sockets. I'm only a beginner on micrcontrollers and have chosen to use the 16F84 even though these are more expensive than others, and I've just broken 2 pins off already. I'm in South Africa and they sell here for about $10 which is quite expensive.

hi,
Have you tried eBay.? lots listed.

I think this price is what you can expect for a ZIF socket, at least for a new one ...
By the way, why using the old PIC16F84 ? Try to look at for example PIC16F628A or PIC16F88 - both are cheaper and more powerful and have the same pinout. PIC16F88 even supports debugging so I think it is a very good choice for starting with PIC micros.

Petr

Yes, try eBay, I did and got a great deal.

I got a load off Ebay as well for 1/5th the price of mainstream catalogue suppliers.

They are probably Chinese fakes (M3) but hey ho.

Mine were M3 too and seem to be alright.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will try Ebay. Petrv : I will have a look at the 16F628a

Last edited:
Trevors said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will try Ebay. Petrv : Is the programming more or less the same for these uC's or would I have to climb a steep learning curve?

hi,
There are some differences, but they are minor.

Using the modern PIC's will mean you will have more functions available.

Get the datasheets from www.microchip.com and compare the two types.:)

If you want a good all rounder PIC to start with I'd go with the 18F1220 or 18F1320. Lots of functions, internal oscillator up to 8mhz and nice and easy to use (compared to the 16F series).

10 $ is too much here a 40pin socket is 1.5 $ & 18 pin just only 0.5 $.

Insert your PIC into a normal IC base permanently. So when you shifting from your programmer & to the target board you won’t damage your pins it will damage that IC base pins.

Thanks Gayan, this works like a charm. I found 6 zif sockets on Ebay(UK) for £6. Will use your method until I get them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back