1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

ZIF programming board

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers' started by digital_blue, Apr 20, 2008.

1. digital_blue

digital_blue New Member

Hey,

I recently purchased an Inchworm programmer but I need a way of connecting it to a ZIF socket. I'm getting tired of using the wires and breadboard approach. Anyone know how to connect the socket so it can support most PICs? I usually use 8 and 16 pin PICs but I'm planning to upgrade to 28 and 40 pin PICs. I'm looking to do something like this except I'm not planning to do the in circuit programming thing:

[​IMG]

thanks

2. futz

futz Active Member

Get yourself a Firefly TZ or Z model.

3. kchriste

kchriste New Member Forum Supporter

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

But bear in mind the P16PRO40 uses TWO separate Vpp lines, which the InchWorm can't provide. With a little thought though, you should be able to fit a switch to steer Vpp to the correct lines.

6. digital_blue

digital_blue New Member

I'm gonna be sticking to the midrange PICs for a while...

7. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

It's not a question of the 'range', it's a question of the size of the PIC and where the programming pins are. If you don't switch the Vpp connection correctly, you're going to be applying 13V to a PIC pin you shouldn't.

8. blueroomelectronics

blueroomelectronics Well-Known Member

Like Futz mentioned, the Firefly schematic shows a typical 8 thru 40 pin ZIF socket for the Junebug or Inchworm. I recall MikeK8LH designed a PCB for a standalone PIC ZIF, it's on the site here somewhere.
    dsPICs pinnout very differently than 16 & 18 series PICs and the ZIF won't work with those.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  9. Mike - K8LH

Mike - K8LH Well-Known Member

Here's the one I did that Bill mentioned. You flip the board and connector for 8 through 20 pin PICs or for 28 and 40 pin PICs. You can also populate the board with a 40 pin ZIF socket or some much less expensive SIL (single in line) machined pin sockets. BTW, the silkscreen shows 8-18 but it's actually for 8-20 pin devices...

Mike

[​IMG]

10. binzer

binzer Member

Are these available for purchase?
    Mike-ka1ifq

11. blueroomelectronics

I also sell the Firefly Z version which is basically a PCB with 2x5 ICD connector and a nice Aries ZIF socket plus DIP switch.

12. 3v0

3v0 Coop Build Coordinator Forum Supporter

If you seldom program out of target, you can do what I did. I made a PCB with an ICSP connector and one socket for each size pic. It is not as nice as a ZIF but I do not have to scratch my head while trying to figure out where to put the PIC :D

Attached Files:

13. mister_e

mister_e New Member

14. Mike - K8LH

Mike - K8LH Well-Known Member

3v0,

Nice board. I did one like that too but with just two sockets. A single 20 pin DIP machined pin socket for the 8-to-20 pin devices (8, 14, 18, 20) and three 20 pin SIL machined pin sockets within a 40 pin DIP footprint for the 28 and 40 pin devices.

I used machined pin sockets (DIP and SIL) because they seem to be much easier on the PIC and because I simply cannot afford those expensive 20 pin and 40 pin ZIF sockets.

Mike

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hank Fletcher

Hank Fletcher New Member

Nice! Just for laughs, have you ever tried using it to program more than one PIC at a time?

16. blueroomelectronics

Problem with using dual wipe sockets is they're not designed for repeated insertions and removals.

17. 3v0

3v0 Coop Build Coordinator Forum Supporter

True. It was never intended to used much. Faster then using a breadboard.

If I needed to use it more it would have better sockets, maybe even invest in a ZIF or two. All my targets have ICSP so about the only time I use it is when I am building programmers. The PCB stock is good stuff so I could change the sockets a few times if I needed to.

18. binzer

binzer Member

Thats exactly what I would like to buy, checked and here in USA it's only $13.00, but $8.59 to ship,:( I just got a 2lb book shipped for $3.99. I gotta look thru my junk box, I remember either a 24 or 40 pin zif socket from another project.

Well a bizzare thing happened after I wrote this message, a book I ordered (ok not too much flak, I ordered this before I found this wonderful place, Myke Predko Programming and Customizing Pic Micro) came in the mail, it has a pcb inside that has just about what I need, some sil machine pin sockets and maybe a couple of jumpers and an icsp header should do it. Now I just have to order the Junebug....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008