Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

zener tolerance effect..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaikanth

:roll:
hi,

i'm having an electronic module that consists of zener diode (30v,2%BZV55B30V MINIMUM).
Ii i replace this diode with same spec but 5%,then what will happen?
both are working fine but in which condition it will give problem if i put 5% instead of 2%?

thanks.............

jaikanth said:
:roll:
hi,

i'm having an electronic module that consists of zener diode (30v,2%BZV55B30V MINIMUM).
Ii i replace this diode with same spec but 5%,then what will happen?
both are working fine but in which condition it will give problem if i put 5% instead of 2%?

thanks.............

It depends entirely on the application, there might not be any reason for a 2% zener being specified anyway, and the zener you fitted may well be within the 2%!.

If it bothers you, measure the voltage across it, and see if it's within 2% of 30V.

A 2% Zener isn't the most common type, so just off the top of my head I suspect they went out of the way to select that one because the circuit does require a tighter tolerance.

That tolerance applies to the intitial "guaranteed" zener voltage at a specified current. In all likelihood, both the 5% and the 2% parts will "hold" their voltage equally as well with regard to again. As mentioned, if the voltage measures within the 2% margin, I'd go ahead and use the 5% part.

It might be that the 2% part is also temperature-compensated by placing another diode internally in series. These types of zeners don't have a "forward" conducting curve but appear as open.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back