Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

z-power 3 watt RGB power led

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevors

Hello everybody,
Does anybody know where I can purchase the above led's. I've checked on eBay but don't know if they're the z-power ones.

Trevors said:
Hello everybody,
Does anybody know where I can purchase the above led's. I've checked on eBay but don't know if they're the z-power ones.

hi,
I googled for: high power multi colour LED

Lots of hits.

eg:
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Yes,
Still no idea where to buy one though. Emailed Seoul Semiconductor. Hopefully I'll get a reply soon

That looks almost like a Lamina Ceramics Solid State Engine. You could get those and they would work for this. They are a bit pricey, esp the Turbo version. Also, if you make that circuit, replace the BJTs with logic level FETs and get rid of all that wasted heat.

Get extra LEDs or use my calculations (at Electronics-Lab) for the original LED so it doesn't burn out like people reported.
The "new" Z-power LED is completely different from the one in the original project. So re-calculate the values of the resistors for the colours.

The circuit in Toon's schematic does not use current-limiting resistors from the micro-controller to the transistors. People reported that it caused their micro-controller to get so hot that it stopped. I calculate that 680 ohms in series with each transistor's base will reduce the current so everything works fine.

The transistors don't get hot, the resistors and LEDs get hot. So Mosfets are not needed.

Txs for the advice people. Please look at https://www.microsyl.com/
Click on Mood Light Kitchen LED Lightning. How would you design a psu for such a product - standard regulated psu with several output transistors in parallel for the high current output?

You have to be careful with that kind of approach. You really can't put a bunch of BJTs in parallel because they have a postive temp co. So as the temp rises it passes more current, effectively destroying itself. You can however parallel a bunch of FETs, but that is normally not required -- the manufacturer has done it for you. When you trawl IRFs catalog, you see lots of FETS with super high current capability and ultra low RDSon. What they have done is put a bunch of FETs in parallel inside their package. So you just buy one and the work is done for you. I would use FETs on this, again the RDSon is so low, that you could probably even run them with no heatsink in a small SMT package.

Trevors said:
Click on Mood Light Kitchen LED Lightning. How would you design a psu for such a product - standard regulated psu with several output transistors in parallel for the high current output?
The high power LED uses a max of 350ma for each of its 3 colours. So each LED needs 350 x 3= 1.05A plus a couple of mA for the microcontroller.
Each colour in each LED needs its own driver transistor and current-limiting resistor.

You could re-wire the LEDs so that many of one colour are in series. Then a single 350mA driver transistor and current-limiting resistor are needed and a higher voltage supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back