Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your Such a Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

Man and his tools, for many a tool enables one to hone his craft, for others, it is just the love of a fine handcrafted tool. For me, I have this love of high quality hand tools despite my cache of power tools. So I just want to show off the pride of my hand tool fleet. Show off your favs here as well :)

My Stanley planes, Gerstner Machinist box and Tap die set.

Attachments

• tools1.jpg
    tools1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 369
  • gerstner.jpg
    gerstner.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 366
  • tapdie.jpg
    tapdie.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
I think any good woodworker would tell you, the best skill to develop is sharpening your tool. I don't know why, but I see some jokes coming out of this comment...

Last edited:
I think any good woodworker would tell you, the best skill to develop is sharpening your tool. I don't know why, but I see some jokes coming out of this comment...

Yeah... the inner 14 year old in me is trying to come out. :D
I've got a few old jack planes but nothing really nice, use them on occasion but never get as good as my jointer, that's just my fault for not practicing enough. However there is one tool I can't live without... a router. You can have it when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Mikebits:
If you want to really impress me, please tell me that your machinist's chest has K&E and Starrett products in it. My plumb bob is a K&E and it's a piece of machined artwork. Who would think something as simple as a plumb bob would turn out to be a precision machined high quality item? My dial caliper is a Starrett. My digital caliper is a cheapo Harbor Freight that seems to be just as accurate! My machinists rules are General. My good drafting tools are Staedler.

I must have bought and sold (some I destroid) 50 cars in my lifetime, but I still have my original tools from 55 years ago! E

Oh boy Mike, don't get me started on the topic of tools.
As an automotive tech, you can probably imagine the amount of hand and power tools, along with diagnostic tools we end up buying.
Add to that, an interest in woodwork and the same enthusiastic tool-buying approach.
Along with an interest also in electronics and the same enthu..........you get the idea.
Basically, I'm a tool-tart!

P.S. You're bang on with the 'sharpness' requirement. I just love those see-through shavings from a hand plane.

EDIT: As a fellow woodworker, you may appreciate the following pics:
Caged Ball_Small.JPG
This is a "Caged Ball", made from 3/4" x 3/4" softwood.
Chain_Small.JPG
This is a chain, made from the same stock as the caged ball.
Snowmen_Small.JPG
Some turned snowmen and a tree.
Turned Bowl1_Small.JPG
A Sycamore or Ash (can't remember which) turned bowl, friction polished.
Turned Bowl2_Small.JPG
Another view of the bowl.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Nice work Mick, I gotta ask, how did you get the ball in the cage?

Boiled water vapor extract.
Steam was too short to post =O

Mikebits:
If you want to really impress me, please tell me that your machinist's chest has K&E and Starrett products in it. My plumb bob is a K&E and it's a piece of machined artwork. Who would think something as simple as a plumb bob would turn out to be a precision machined high quality item? My dial caliper is a Starrett. My digital caliper is a cheapo Harbor Freight that seems to be just as accurate! My machinists rules are General. My good drafting tools are Staedler.

Actually, if you look at my first photo, to the right is a Starrett 24 inch caliper which I purchased from an antique shop. Coincidentally the caliper is engraved with CG-31 which is the now decommissioned USS Sterett. Yes spelling is correct.

I also have a 6 inch Starret caliper and a few gauges, but that is about all.

Hi Mike,

the amount of wood working tools is really impressive.

I made two storage beds for my brother in law's kids using a top spin moulder with different tools and one plane.

The beds were made to 1/10mm accuracy and didn't even move when the kids used the integrated fitness devices like ladder and stretching device.

That's absolutely no laugh, but I also learned to make good work with fewer tools.

Remember: ancient wood workers used to make boats using a stem of a tree, burn the core and smoothen the inside when the fire was extinguished.

Boncuk

So I just want to show off the pride of my hand tool fleet. Show off your favs here as well :)

My Stanley planes, Gerstner Machinist box and Tap die set.

Hi Mike,

thats really dazzling, but waiting for your products to grade them.

Hi Mike,

thats really dazzling, but waiting for your products to grade them.

I made this guitar. Does that count? :)

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I made this guitar. Does that count? :)

**broken link removed**

Small objection again. Does it have a steel enforced neck?

You still could have done it using a top-spin-moulder and a plane, some sand paper and wood putty to hide the steel enforcement.

I'm not convinced yet. :)

Kindest regards

Boncuk

Nice work Mick, I gotta ask, how did you get the ball in the cage?

Thanks Mike and that is usually the 1st question people ask.

The answer to that is "It was always there ;-)"

If you're still intrigued, although I think you'll probably guess now, I'll elaborate further...

Nice guitar too!

That birdfish "guitar" is as ugly as sin. I'm more of a traditionalist with geetars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back