Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your programming setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taymo

I'm just curious to see how everyone else is programming thier PIC's and even other MCUs. From the IDE, to the compiler, to the programming board and software. I'm using the PICC Lite compiler and I think I'm gonna suck it up and get MPLAB (not had good results with it). I have the Spark Fun "MPLAB Compatible ZIF Programmer" programmer board as they call it. It's based on the PicStart+.

Zilog Z8 Encore! (don't blame me, the exclamation mark is part of the trademark) I'm repeating myself, but the easiest microcontroller for beginners and hobbyists. $20,00 programming cable with a free C compiler / Assembler / IDE. Or you can make your own programming cable with an rs232 level shifter and a diode.

There's no need for ZIF socket programmers. Single pin debugging/programming means a single 3 pin header off of your project board can be used for high speed in circuit programming/debugging. Chips are cheap and there's little firmware differences between the full line of controllers. If you want to move your project to a higher pin count controller, no programming changes are needed. Large list of supported hardware blocks.... SPI, I2C, IrDA, UART, ADC, DMA controller, all GPIO can sink or source current.

Programming cable connected to a project board:
**broken link removed**

I use a free program from Atmel, called FLIP, to program the AT89C51 through the standard serial port. This is just about the easiest link from .hex file to Flash I've encountered.

im new to this (still waiting on my actuall chip!) but ive been playing w/ and plan to use the Microchip IDE w/ C18 C compiler and a USB ICD2 programmer/in circuit debugger.

the only con is that the USB ICD2 is $99. but i hear (and from my past noob experience) that an in circuit debugger is quite handy. shown here:
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=5

the PIC i plan to work w/ is the PIC18F4480

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and thought I'd chime in! I started out with the P16F84 and built my own TOPIC-like programmer with plans I found on the web. Probably cost me more than buying one already made, but I had a blast doing it and hey, it worked the first time I used it! I prefer to program in assembly and use MPASM and Flash Pic Programmer. I've just upgraded to a serial port powered programmer and am starting to use IC-Prog (sees it as a JDM programmer). Bought the programmer on E-Bay for $15, and am just starting with the 18F452 (yaaaahooo!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back