Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your Header Pins Look Like This

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hi,

I had to make a few 1 pin female headers out of a 40 pin header so i had to cut it apart into units of 1 pin per header. In the process, i had to sacrifice some pin positions so that others could be separated. That led to the loss of some pin positions. The internal metal pins themselves however came out intact and here are some photos of them. They are in the shape of little tiny tuning forks.
This little 'fork' is the only thing that holds on to the male pin when it is inserted in order to make a connection to the header and thus the PC board it is installed in.
The pins on that long header in picture #1 are spaced 0.1 inches apart which gives an indication of the measurement scale of the pics.

Attachments

• HeaderPinCloseups-1.jpg
    HeaderPinCloseups-1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 178
  • HeaderPinCloseups-2.jpg
    HeaderPinCloseups-2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 169
  • HeaderPinCloseups-3.jpg
    HeaderPinCloseups-3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 170
  • HeaderPinCloseups-4.jpg
    HeaderPinCloseups-4.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 179
It is an FYI post :)

The friction lock on that type of female header is pretty weak. For just 1 or 2 contacts, I would use something more secure like the cantilevered hobby servo contacts (square) or a machined pin contact (round or square).

John

Is there a question?
There does not always need to be a question. This forum is also a conduit for information to flow like current in gold:)

There does not always need to be a question. This forum is also a conduit for information to flow like current in gold:)

Hi,

So you are saying that it doesnt flow as well as say, current in copper?
:) Sorry, couldnt resist <chuckle> :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back