Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your first electronics "Thrill"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm my first thrill... well there are two that stand out... The first was my first crystal radio, just a simple little thing but with a really long wire strung up in the top of gumtrees it could pick up up the local radio stations...

The second big thrill I got was when I got hold of an old dead television and fixed it. (I still have and still use that old black and white television from time to time today.)

I must admit while it sounds lame I got a big thrill just the other day from a crystal radio, mainly because everything from the coil to the "diode" and even the headphones it used were made by me from, either things I had lying around or other objects that don't normally do what they were used for. (The thrill came because while it was one ugly thing it worked.)

Dawn

Oh for those of you who know what a funway kit is... the crystal radio mentioned at the start of this post was funway volume 1 project 12.

My first thrill was in 4th grade when I made an alarm system for my room out of a battery, buzzer, wire, aluminum foil, an index card, string, and clothes pins. Everytime my mom entered the room she'd trip the alarm and the buzzer would go off with an annoying buzzzzzzzzz. Man did that alarm piss her off! The best part is that once it was tripped... the only way to turn it off was to set it up again (connect it together so it could be tripped again) which obviously my mom did not know how to do :D

Put me down also for a primitive crystal radio (using a gallium crystal and a cat's wisker!) in the late 50's. Always amazed me that it could work with no visible source of power :)

Lefty

I am still looking for something simple that I can introduce my 3yo too. He loves the mindstorms (and the roomba) but they are a little complicated for him. I am considering that sequencer that was in make a few issues ago as a learning toy for him that we can do together. Anyone else got any suggestions?

I was given an AM portable radio in about 1957 as a birthday gift. It was small and had a genuine leather case. It worked alright then I make a big many turns loop with a tuning capacitor. When my radio was near it I could pickup stations very far away.

hm my first real big thrill was a PWM motor speed control with the 555 considering I used some slighly unorthodox methods

My very first design that made a production run. It was a Mutiplexed PCM bus to digital audio tape interface. It had the ability to change 8ksps to 44ksps on a 1 of 32 channel bus. The core of the design was an AT&T DSP.
And yes I framed it..:)

Attachments

• dspdesign.jpg
    dspdesign.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 274
mine was an FM transmitter which i copied from a magazine...
using tape i was sticking together on a table, components from destroyed
electronic toys that looked like simular with the ones in the photo of the magazine, then i tried to power it from a AA battery, it never worked :D

that period i tried to connect two motors backwords and when i was turning
the first, the other was also turning.

i had no idea about electronics, i was 10 years old. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back