Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your favourite kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My multimeter. I got it from a teacher, who got it from radioshack a long time ago. I don't think the shack sells them anymore, though... :( Very nice analog multimeter. ;)

My old Heathkit AR-1500 receiver. Not quite state of the art now, but it still powers my computer speakers. 35 years continuous use with only 2 rebuilds.

Marks256 said:
My multimeter. I got it from a teacher, who got it from radioshack a long time ago. I don't think the shack sells them anymore, though... :( Very nice analog multimeter. ;)

This was a kit as asked by the OP?

Lefty

I've oly built a few kits, but Bill's Inchworm is by far the best and most useful to date.

Here is something I built from a kit, a couple of years ago now, but modified recently with a couple of factory options.

It is an Elecraft K2 HF amateur band transceiver.
Look here:
www.elecraft.com
for more information.

JimB

Attachments

• K2 - 1.JPG
    K2 - 1.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 141
  • K2 - 2.JPG
    K2 - 2.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 161
JimB said:
Here is something I built from a kit, a couple of years ago now, but modified recently with a couple of factory options.

Look here:
www.elecraft.com
for more information.

JimB

Nice rig. I studied the documentation and the support forum for that kit for quite awhile several years ago. It really is a first class design that performs as well and in many cases better then the best of breed in ham radio. However ham radio is handicapped here as antenna restrictions keep one from getting the most from such a fine rig.

I build so many nice kits from heath-kit and knight-kit is the late 50s to early 70s that it's hard to remember which I enjoyed the most.

While we don't have the big dominate kit manufactures anymore, I do think there is a larger selection and better diversity for DIY and kit builders today. The web has changed everything for this hobby and of course the tech is so much more powerful and cost effective in real dollars that these really are the good old days, today :)

Lefty

JimB said:

Look here:
www.elecraft.com
for more information.

JimB

drool
sam2

That Elecraft rig looks great, lots of PICs inside too :)

I noticed they don't use SMDs in their kits either, if they do they come preassembled. Nice touch.

Lefty said:
This was a kit as asked by the OP?

Yes, it was a multimeter kit. Just a few resistors, diodes, and some wire, but it is the most useful thing i have ever gotten.

HeathKit Manual example and HeathKit Computers.

I found a link to the HeathKit H9 Video Terminal manual.

It was a dumb terminal and a pain to keep working. Had rows of non-gold connectors that need cleaning. No uP here. Rows and rows of 74LS logic chips :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back