Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your Fav Book or Magazine for electonics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevef22

Is there an electronics for dummies? lol A simple start book in electronics would be great. Maybe lots of pictures... What do you guys start with. Also, whats the best magazine for electronics that you like to read. I already have popular science and popular mechanics.

I would also be interested in this, but more to the web based media rather than printed media... fits my lifestyle better :p But magazines and books are good too.

Last edited:
wrinkledcheese said:
I would also be interested in this, but more to the web based media rather than printed media... fits my lifestyle better :p But magazines and books are good too.

hi,
Look here, also Google for 'electronics tutorials' there's lots... books too.

**broken link removed**

ahhh thanks, i tried a bunch of combinations in that lil ol google box and didn't come up with much :)

Is there anything like a magazine. I found a few things excerpted from magazines but the magazine name wasn't printed on any of the pages.

wrinkledcheese said:
ahhh thanks, i tried a bunch of combinations in that lil ol google box and didn't come up with much :)

Is there anything like a magazine. I found a few things excerpted from magazines but the magazine name wasn't printed on any of the pages.

Something like this?
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Home/Default.aspx

Google for your favourite electronics comic, you find quite a few have web pages.

EDIT: +++
**broken link removed**

enjoy!

stevef22 said:
Is there an electronics for dummies?
Yes, there is. And yes, I own a copy. And yes, I still refer to it from time to time. As limited as its content (and that of all Dummies series books) may be, there's no better confidence builder for a newb than being able to say, "Well, at least I have complete mastery of the Dummies book - it's only up from here!"

I recommend the Dummies series over other copy-cat series. They're much better written, and designed to give you a well-rounded, albeit rudimentary, understanding that will get you grounded enough in a field that you'll feel much more confident in setting out on your own. I now own several different Dummies books (computer programming, C, building a PC, statistics, buying/selling a house, weddings) and have ceased feeling embarrassed walking out of the store with them. Every Dummies book I've bought has more than paid for itself in time and money saved.

Despite the wealth of knowledge on the web, every medium has its advantages and disadvantages. For that reason, I prefer to be able to compliment my resources, using both the Internet and books. There's just an ease of use and availability in having a printed resource that can't be matched by searching/sifting/processing information on the web for what's relevant to your immediate needs.

Last edited:
Robot building for beginners is a excellent book even if you dont want to build the robot. There is a thread under book reveiws in this forum. Look for it in there :)

Thanks, I'm gonna take a gander at the magazine shop downtown. I'm really trying to find something to interface with cameras slavaged from cell phones I find on the side of the road, maybe the LCD screens too. And toss in some wireless. Pretty ambitious for a newbie :p

wrinkledcheese said:
Thanks, I'm gonna take a gander at the magazine shop downtown. I'm really trying to find something to interface with cameras slavaged from cell phones I find on the side of the road, maybe the LCD screens too. And toss in some wireless. Pretty ambitious for a newbie :p

You might try filling your location in, it then displays in your profile to the left (as in most of the posts above). Not much point making suggestions that don't apply to you!.

Thanks, I'm from Canada. Every time I think I found something to get me started with camera circuitry, I get a site looking to sell cameras ready to use. There isn't a part number and I'm not sure if LG will release specifics like what part number it uses as the optical lens in it's cameras. I have the whole phone so if any chip is needed I have it. Although I don't know what works and what's fried, it is a salvaged phone from outside after all. I'm sure I could use my cousin's Motorola RAZR, which is also a salvaged phone from outside. Probably some water/shock damage but how extensive I don't know.

I actually bought a copy of September nuts and volts today. Nothing in there peaked my interest but the way it's laid out I might get a subscription. $7 at the news stand and $24 for a year. They didn't have anything else on the subject. Is there anything else out there I should keep my eye out for?

P.S. What is ARRL?
[edit]
American Radio Relay League

Last edited:
I reside in India. here we get a Mag "ELECTRONICS FOR YOU" published from Newdelhi. being published since 38 years and got its reputation.

Earlier when I started my career in 1966, while in training in telecom, we used to see Mags like Practcal electronics, Popular electronics, Electronics Today International, Electronics & Wirelesworld and Many others.

We really learnt a lot from these and i used to tell my colegues, that I am practical in the subject especially due to these.

Yes- Elektor has definitely influenced our interest towrds the hobby and i used to have a sample copy 1/4th size of the Issue NO 1 of UK edition. Untill recently (2005 sept) we used to have an Indian Edition of Elektor-India Electronics.

Abbrieviations like TUN, TUP used to be funny

my favorite is nuts & volts. ;)

Silicon Chip

In my part of the world, i like Silicon Chip ( years ago it was called Electronics Australia ).
Very well published, interesting projects.
On of my favorite topics in it is, The Serviceman , in where he writes about fault found in electrical appliances, TV's VCR's etc.

An other good magazine i occasionally buy is Elektor or Elektuur ( Dutch version ) and the 300 series of schematics books which have a wealth of interesting schema's extracted from the Elector magazines.
Currently 308 is available at any good electronics shop like Jaycars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back