Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Yah, it's me

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tvtech again

Hello all

Something that most of you have not experienced is to be forced to do an OS reinstall...to get rid of a Firefox issue....I love Firefox...but in my travels a few days ago I picked up a little Malware along the way. It only affected Firefox. But I was getting really cross with Avast constantly warning me and shouting....

Tried everything to get rid of it. All to no avail.

So, a complete re-install was called for, on the XP platform. Obviously, all passwords and stuff lost.

And I have to say, you can still get back onto vbulletin sites relatively easily.....not so xenforo.

Locked out if you deleted the last email concerning your password....NO RECOVERY option. Nadah. Nothing.

So, I had to sneak back in under a new name, just to say HI to you all. I had to create a new Gmail account and all kinds of crap....

False pretenses and all. I hate that where it is not necessary. Not like I was banned or anything....Or maybe banned myself....

So, just be weary Guys. xenforo is another animal.

So, after all the rigmarole......how are you Guys doing?

I am bursting to post a funny video I saw the other day.

Regards,
tvtech

OK. here is the thing. I am tvtech and like everyone else here, I cannot't have 2 accounts.

I mean I need this one deleted....but my original one restored so I can access it....bit of a mind warp.

Any ideas Guys?

Regards,
tvtech

on your original email account, did you tell them a phone number or any other way of communicating with them to send you password resets?

Some will let you supply the last password you've know.

My next recommendation is for you to get yourself a network drive to backup all your important stuff, including a text file with your passwords. Very few accounts that I have do not go through the windows live mail software installed on the computer. I do have my gmail and Hotmail accounts have the ability to email me at one of my server's email accounts, not my primary email one.

Anyways, I brought up windows live mail as you can export all your account information to a file and then import it IF you had to rebuild your system.

All the other files are on my network drive and the most important (business data backup) is on an SD card.

So have two email accounts from the free services or maybe three. That way you can have one for all the times you know they want your email to supply you with junk eMail. And if you don't have a network drive, print your username and passwords on a piece of paper and put it in your wallet. You can encrypt them by making a square with random numbers but you know the key to get your accounts and passwords from that square or rectangle looking random alphanumeric characters.

Regarding the malware, do you not have Spybot or Malwarebytes? I have both and use them to clean things up (which isn't very often, thankfully). They are some of the best free ones out there. MUCH better than a re-install!

Regarding your login, none of the moderators have access to it, but I think the admins may have some sort of recovery tool. I suggest PMing one of them. Or try as Joe suggested--I think there's a "forgot your password" link. Should try checking that :)

Regards,
Matt

Hi Joe

Just strange. vbulletin allows password recovery/reset.....even Yahoo does with their massive EMail platform...or at least a password reset....

Not xenforo though. Nothing.

And, let's face it.......really stupid....unless I have missed something.

Regards,
tvtech

Regarding the malware, do you not have Spybot or Malwarebytes? I have both and use them to clean things up (which isn't very often, thankfully). They are some of the best free ones out there. MUCH better than a re-install!

Regarding your login, none of the moderators have access to it, but I think the admins may have some sort of recovery tool. I suggest PMing one of them. Or try as Joe suggested--I think there's a "forgot your password" link. Should try checking that :)

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt

Believe it or not, I tried to download a song from the Internet.....I happened to push/click on the wrong site and all went to hell.
I knew though in a split second of doing it my lappie was in deep trouble..

Just in case you ever see this thing or anything related to it...keep away WEBSEARCHES.COM

What it does is change your homepage...and starts fighting with your Antivirus and all kinds of crap...

Avast on a Lappie even with a boot scan canno't delete it properly. Malwarebytes finds it.....but cannot get rid of the damn thing. It keeps coming back.

Believe me, it's a nasty piece of rubbish.

I have helped people with Virus problems here without re-installing...this one is not even a Virus...it is a piece of Malware trash that is a PITA.

It was re- install or nothing.

Regards,
tvtech

Try to get rid of McAfee! I had to scrub the drive and buy a clean copy of Windows XP, back in the day. There oughtta be a law...

John

tvtech,

There are over 10 million results on google concerning the name you posted. There are quite a few addressing the "removal" process.

Backup, backup and backup your information. I once lost 5 years of financial data to a failing hard drive that I didn't catch in time. I was upset to say the least.

Make and work your backup plan.

20/20 Hindsight is the sometimes you have to run both Malwarebytes and Microsoft security essentials in safe mode and not connected to the Internet. What about "restrore points".
Too late now!

Your still Running windows XP? Is there a reason why you havent migrated to 7 or Linux? Linux is VERY easy to use these days.

Hi guys

Not much money available but lots of work where I am. So in my circumstances XP is still good enough for me. I really don't need anything better right now.
I have been using XP since 2006 and this is/was the very first time I decided to re-install because of an irritation caused by Malicious software. XP was not broken. It was still working but I got fed up with warnings from Avast that would not go away.

So, clean install solved all, except the password problem here at ETO....

I would like this new account I had to create to get back onto ETO to be deleted so I can carry on with my original tvtech one. Anyway, I am in no hurry to push anybody to act quickly. You all know it's me and there is no problem from my side.

The new account was a Mission. I did it for 2 reasons:

1. To say HI. You guys are the best. I just canno't stay away for any length of time. Addicted to ETO.
2. To warn you guys about the whole xenForo log in problem... hopefully no one will have to repeat my experience.

I managed to retrieve every other Forum/Blog/Mail or whatever with a friendly Password reset. Yahoo was the easiest to retrieve.....and they are way bigger than any Forum software out there. vBulletin was equally easy.

All the best,
tvtech

Hi Ian

I re-installed XP and then could not Log in as tvtech because I never saved my password :banghead:
Could you help me get tvtech back???

Thanks Ian

Regards,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back