Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XY-IT0V current-to-voltage converter setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidtupper

I want data from a 12v windspeed sensor that communicates with a 4-20mA signal. I chose a XY-IT0V breakout board to receive the signal. The XY-IT0V documentation (see link) describes two pots that set the bottom and top (span) output voltages to correspond with the 4-20mA input. I chose jumpers for the 0-5v range and set the bottom voltage to 0.100v at 4mA. The top voltage is set by adjusting the span pot, but cranking it up gets the top voltage to only 4.096v at 20mA. Should I live with that or is there something I can do to get the full range? Thanks for help with this.

If you are supplying the breakout board with VCC of +5V, you may not be able to set your 20mA to 5V. Try supplying it with a higher VCC and re-adjusting the range pots.

Thanks for responding, Sarah. I’ve been supplying the xy-it0v with 12v. Maybe the span pot is bad. If 4v max output is all I can have, I wonder if that corresponds to the max wind speed specified for the sensor, 30 m/s. I’m thinking I could mount the sensor on the end of a stick out in front on my car to calibrate it.

Do you have the jumpers set correctly?

4-20 converter.jpg

Have you actually tried to calibrate it with a true 20 mA current supply when you tried to adjust the top range? Or did you just try to adjust for maximum (+5) volts?

Thanks for the thought. I substituted a 10k pot for the sensor to get measured 4 and 20mA currents but haven’t been able to get the board to span 0.1 to 5v.

Visitor, I thought it was odd that in the seller’s doc you show above, the 2.5 and 5v jumper settings are the same so I looked at other sources and found inconsistent values. So I tried all four possible settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back