Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

X-Ray IR Glasses!...NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i dont know how but they use it as IR indictators.The remote had to be pointed right on the phosphor and in a darker room.

Please can you post a link to one of these? I'm interested.

visible light has more energy than IR ? Where does the phosphor get the necessary energy from ? Is it a sort of cascade effect ?

[...] Up-conversion materials are a very rare class of inorganic crystals that can absorb multiple photons at a lower energy level and emit one photon at a higher energy level [...]
As I assumed - sort of cascade effect ... great!

Hey _nox_ , I think the crystals you're talking about are known as NLO (Non-Linear Optic) crystals. They use them in laser systems to generate harmonics of laser wavelengths. For instance, the green laser pointers you can buy actually have a solid-state infrared laser diode operating at 808nm pumping a crystal of Nd:YV04 as the laser generator. Then they send the 1064nm IR beam produced through the NLO (usually made of a material called KTP). That doubles the frequency (halves the wavelength) to generate the green beam at 532nm. Here's a link to wiki regarding the Non-Linear Optics. Interesting stuff.
JB

I've heard somewhere that blue LEDs have been around as early as the mid 70s, I wonder if they were just IR LEDs with phosphors or harmonic crystals.

dknguyen said:
1. Don't post COMPLETELY unrelated questions on someone else's thread
2. Make your own posts for your own questions.
3. Do your own damn homework.

ROFLMAO! This place has both ends of the spectrum: intelligent, insightful people and the completely cluless, helpless ones.

HiTech said:
ROFLMAO! This place has both ends of the spectrum: intelligent, insightful people and the completely cluless, helpless ones.
Yes, I have also noticed.
Since school recently started again, this place is getting more of the latter.
Sometimes I help school kids.

I'll also help out some of the kids here as well..... that is by directing them to the "short bus".

jbeng said:
Hey _nox_ , I think the crystals you're talking about are known as NLO (Non-Linear Optic) crystals. They use them in laser systems to generate harmonics of laser wavelengths. For instance, the green laser pointers you can buy actually have a solid-state infrared laser diode operating at 808nm pumping a crystal of Nd:YV04 as the laser generator. Then they send the 1064nm IR beam produced through the NLO (usually made of a material called KTP). That doubles the frequency (halves the wavelength) to generate the green beam at 532nm. Here's a link to wiki regarding the Non-Linear Optics. Interesting stuff.
JB
Indeed! Very interesting! Thanks for this enlightenment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back