Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WWll proximity fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
jbeng said:
Here's a link showing why nuclear waste on a rocket to the sun may not be such a good idea. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be downwind of (or anywhere near for that matter) such a rocket if this happened. Talk about your "dirty bomb" ...

Jeff

yes quite nuclear is a big NO NO for one simple reason above all others: HUMAN ERROR

just think if we did sent the stuff to the sun on a rocket.......and it hit the sun and the sun blew up und blew the sun out! we would be up sh its creak....lol jk

nah I don't think we can scratch the sun infact our little rocket would melt down before it bodily hit the sun, what if the suff got irradiated back to us ? but after seeing that video nukes on a rocket is a bad idea, please tell me how the heck did they fail to see 17 foot crack ? I'd hate to see a chenobil go off in the sky

How did this thread deteriorate so fast? Blow the sun out!! We humans could not even make the sun flicker. Let's get back to history rather than fantasy.

Mike.

ok..to get back to reality. isn't there some kinda way to make the waste not radioactive anymore? like combining it with other elements or useing it again? they are spliting uranium atoms right? and when they split they become putonium? is that how it works? or is that just a breeder reactor?

if its radio active its radio active for the next "X" thousands of years and thats about that its a case of just not gouing there with the cost of building and maintaining a nuk powerstation with the view of just how unreliable man is in saftey because that way he earns more is best to use the same money to build solar stations

In reality, you could spread the waste over the Sahara desert or the Australian outback as long as it is dilute enough. After all that is where it came from. The problem is that we have concentrated it and it then becomes dangerous and the idea of spreading it around is just not acceptable. I do believe that after a couple of years storage to get rid of the most active elements then spraying it over the outback is probably the best way to deal with it.

Mike.

Thunderchild said:
couple of years or couple of centries ?

Depends on the particular substance, they have different half lives.

I actually walked on top of a nuclear reactor core a few years back, it was a Magnox reactor, in the process of being decommissioned. Interestingly enough, the same day I visited C.A.T. as well (Centre for Alternative Technology) which was only a few miles away.

The nuclear power station was unique in the UK, as it was the only one NOT on the sea - it used an inland lake for it's cooling - anyone want a 15 foot trout with legs and tentacles? :p

Nigel Goodwin said:
Depends on the particular substance, they have different half lives.

I actually walked on top of a nuclear reactor core a few years back, it was a Magnox reactor, in the process of being decommissioned. Interestingly enough, the same day I visited C.A.T. as well (Centre for Alternative Technology) which was only a few miles away.

The nuclear power station was unique in the UK, as it was the only one NOT on the sea - it used an inland lake for it's cooling - anyone want a 15 foot trout with legs and tentacles? :p

yikes no I'll stick to the frozen samon in my freezer that I butchered myself after buying it for 1.5 £/Kg

from what i understand the uranium out of the ground isn't that radioactive. its not until they refine it and get the correct isotope that it becomes realy dangerous. thats why i was wondering if they could come up with a way of refining it back another isotope that wouldn't be so bad

Gaston said:
from what i understand the uranium out of the ground isn't that radioactive. its not until they refine it and get the correct isotope that it becomes realy dangerous. thats why i was wondering if they could come up with a way of refining it back another isotope that wouldn't be so bad

When I was at school (about 14 or so) we did about radioactivity in physics, and the teacher produced a radium sample - this was in a locked, lead lined, mahogany box, and it was kept in a locked safe. We tested it with a geiger counter, then tested the pupils watches (that had luminous dials) - the weakest of the watches was twice as radioactive as the sample, and many were five or six times as radioactive! :D

During WWII luminous dials were used in aircraft (for obvious reasons), the women who painted them died of cancer a few years later! :eek:

I'm sure you probably know this but not everything glow in the dark is radioactive most things aren't. It's just the things like watch dials and some fishing floats that never need to be exposed to light to glow that are radioactive. A radioactive isotope mixed with the phosphor paint is continiously energising the phosphor so it doesn't need to be exposed to light to make it glow.

Gaston said:
just think if we did sent the stuff to the sun on a rocket.......and it hit the sun and the sun blew up und blew the sun out! we would be up sh its creak....lol jk

We'd have 8 minutes of trouble-free time before we realize anything though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back