Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WWll proximity fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiTech said:
Better take a closer look at modern day automobiles. Between advanced materials, and refined prinicples, they are far different than the old rumble seat clunkers our grandparents drove. And that doesn't include the heavy interface of electronics in them.

But they still use the same old internal combustion engine. Surely someone could have come up with something better in the last 125 years.

Mike.

I would like to see a theory of intelligence, self awareness and original thought. This would enable us to build intelligent machines - whether that is a good goal or not is another debate. Thirty years ago everyone thought this was just around the corner.

Mike.

Pommie said:
But they still use the same old internal combustion engine. Surely someone could have come up with something better in the last 125 years.

Mike.

They have! Better combustion engines- duh.

The thing I like about AI is that there is something left to pick up where we left off after we make an irrecoverable mistake.

it seems to that electric cars and nuclear power plants would be the way to go. and take the waste and send it on a rocket to the sun

Gaston said:
it seems to that electric cars and nuclear power plants would be the way to go. and take the waste and send it on a rocket to the sun

What fuels the rocket?

dknguyen said:
What fuels the rocket?

very true so lets just kick our ases for not doing it before and get on with putting up some solar panels

well we can use regular rocket fuel for the rockets. what is rocket fuel made from anyway.i believe its hydrogen and oxygen isn't it? do they get the hydrogen from petrolium?

erm I thought is was petrol or something if it was hydrogen they would not polute and as far as I know polute they do if rockets ran on hydrogen I'm sure areoplanes would too and again that would solve the polution problems of areoplanes

oh and by the ay yes it seems scientists are nuts over getting hydrogen from petrolium rather than water I guess it has something to do with profits yet again

Thunderchild said:
oh and by the ay yes it seems scientists are nuts over getting hydrogen from petrolium rather than water I guess it has something to do with profits yet again
Because hydrogen from water is not a rpimary energy source and is very expensive to produce.

The problem with hydrogen from petrolium is that the energy locked up in the carbon is wasted.

no actually very contrary to what people on here like to gloat about if you read the wikipedia its 50-80 % efficient but don't tell the goverment that they will probably up the tax on petrol out of fear of loosing profit

Please expand a bit more. . .

expand ? how do you mean ? I had a very reputable member of this board tell me out of his hat that we could never consider hydrogen as fuel by making it from eletrlysis because it was probably like 5-10 % efficient, well I checked and actually its 50-80 %.
if you look at documentries about hydrogen cars they tell you we will have to get the hydrogen from petrol (and this does polute cause it reales some bad gas in the process of breaking down the petrol) so really when you look at its all about money and making sure we don't get rid of petrol in a hurry

Thunderchild said:
expand ? how do you mean ? I had a very reputable member of this board tell me out of his hat that we could never consider hydrogen as fuel by making it from eletrlysis because it was probably like 5-10 % efficient, well I checked and actually its 50-80 %.

Looks like you checked one site?, well known for it's inaccuracies (as it's just what people post there) - try doing more checking, there is LOT'S of information out there, including many university investigations.

ok so where can I start from ? I'd like to have many more sources of information but get fed up with looking through trashy adds all over the place

Thunderchild said:

Which is good but then you have to consider the ineffiency in converting the hydrogen to mechanical energy.

Hydrogen fuel cells and an electric motor are the most efficient method but the technology is still pretty immature.

A combustion engine is extremely inefficient so we won't even go there.

Given that batteries are 80% efficient I think they clearly win.

Also, where do you get the electricity from to make the hydrogen?

You could use a green source like hydroelectric or wind power but it's probably better to store the energy in a battery than as hydrogen.

yes it is better to store the energy in batteries directly but the original point being made was using hydrogen as roket fuel

dknguyen said:
-better power sources (generation and batteries)

**broken link removed** which talks about a development in lithium-ion battery technology which will give 10x capacity over the current technology.

Gaston said:

Here's a link showing why nuclear waste on a rocket to the sun may not be such a good idea. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be downwind of (or anywhere near for that matter) such a rocket if this happened. Talk about your "dirty bomb" ...

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back