Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photons are considered massless because they don't have a 'rest mass' that's because they can't be slowed down, excepting relativistically. They have a 'relativistic' mass but are NOT particles, even though they can behave like them.

Something like that.

photons exist just as long as they move. if they stop, they, poof, disappear or transform into some other particle.

well some things are still considered massless, although I tend to disagree. but hey! that's just MY opinion ;) I'm no scientist! don't have the lab nor cash to examine those particles myself. and internet is full of crap. you just have to find the gem in that pile.

Paul McCartney can write "the best" music. Nobody taught him.
Richard Feynman could do "the best" physics. Nobody taught him.
I looked for an art example but I just don't see that. Guess nobody taught me!!
Savants (sp?) have abilities we can only envy. Nobody taught them.
My wife has an ability with kids that blows my mind. She can turn any kid into an angel in 10 seconds. It's amazing to watch.
We all have an ability that is unique. We may not see others ability but it is there.

There are organisations that allow people to join due to there abilities. We should applaud them and make sure that more of them exist. I had a mate that fixed my car after a smash with a 2lb lump hammer and a bit of 3x2. What a talented guy. He should belong to one of those groups.

Mike.
P.S. Anyone above that stated anything about humans not being able to comprehend multiple dimensions is, well, not human.

bloody-orc said:
hero: EVERYTHING IN THIS WORLD HAS MASS!
even photons do. this is 11th grade physics man! (just calculated the energy of a green "colored" light particle (photon). what do you think black holes are made? and why does light slurp into it like anything else... because it has mass!
Hey! Even so small things as neutrinos have mass. (and neutrinos are NOT misspelled neutrons).
That's a very abrupt way of putting it but I agree!

I don't like the way he talks about bending of space time. It makes more sense to me that energy and mass are the same thing, the fact that when you increase the speed of a particle it gets heavier, when nuclear fission has occured the particles weight less than before and electromagnetic radiation is bent by magnetic fields is all no coincidence.

There again the bending of space time theory is also probably correct as when something travels fast, from the perspective of the observer, time for it slows down and it's lengh diminishes.

It is just that increase of mass with velocity that makes it imperitive for photons to have no mass. Remember that they move at light speed.

As before, energy and mass are related by the familiar equation, but imagine that there really is a substantial difference between a handful of iron and the equivalence in gamma rays. I think it would be very hard to make one into the other.

j.p.bill said:
It is just that increase of mass with velocity that makes it imperitive for photons to have no mass. Remember that they move at light speed.
That's interesting, if photons had a mass then it would be infinite.

As before, energy and mass are related by the familiar equation, but imagine that there really is a substantial difference between a handful of iron and the equivalence in gamma rays. I think it would be very hard to make one into the other.
I agree.

HarveyH42 said:
Well, I'll admit first, that my formal education is strongly lacking in these areas (couple of years college). I do understand the difference between facts and therories. In math and physic, there are many interesting and amazing that work out on paper, but could never be real. Most of these therories are an intelectual exercise, and could be nothing more than fiction or fantasy, by people with way too much time on their hands. You can prove it on paper, but is there any chance of proving these other dimensions? Where are all the black holes hiding in space?

Something I've always kind of wondered about... The universe has many galaxies, many have names, ours is the milkyway... What is our little planetary system called? The planets, moons, sun, even asteroids have names, but what about this solar system?

Uh, Our Solar System?
What about Oort Cloud?

There is no official designation for solar systems that I know of, though that's bound to change as we've identified non-local solar systems for the first time in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back