Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Worldwide lighting made 20% more efficienct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked up isotera's UK Patent, it's all about the HF inductive coupling. It's all about convenience and not efficiency. Nowhere in the patent or on their site can I find any info about the overall efficiency of their design. IMHO wire to wire coupling is very efficient, but the one in the patent seems very inefficient. There is a mention of improved efficiency, but improved over what?

I'm surprised they got 2.5M UK pounds from Angel investors.
https://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-find-publication-getPDF.pdf?PatentNo=GB2497428&DocType=A&JournalNumber=6473

I suspect you are right. It is also a two stage process. You need to get from line voltage to DC to high frequency AC.
Here is a wiki comment.

Compared to inductive transfer in conventional transformers, except when the coils are well within a diameter of each other, the efficiency is somewhat lower (around 80% at short range) whereas tightly coupled conventional transformers may achieve greater efficiency (around 90-95%) and for this reason it cannot be used where high energy transfer is required at greater distances.

We have a lot less lights; ;)

**broken link removed**

Vizier87 said:
I presume most % went to the factory motors and whatnot?

Traditionally the big electric users are for heat processes, electric smelting etc.

We have a lot less lights; ;)

firelight-jpg.74649

Dave

Attachments

• firelight.JPG
    firelight.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 703
but thats a fantastic reduction.....lighting is an enormous amount of power...so thats a huge reduction
OK. But it's only about 0.1 of the 20% efficiency improvement you were throwing around in your initial post.

And only occurs for the customers who comitted to buying (and keep using) that particular lighting brand. Which is only going to happen with a very small percentage of lighting users... So the actual "world energy" saving % will be incredibly small. ;)

yes thats right, thats why they do PIR sensors with the isotera system.
Isotera has one particular quality that NO other system has.....its waterproof....so when your office block catches fire and the sprinklers turn on....your isotera lights stay on............that is, if any isotera luminaire on the HFAC bus gets water tipped all over it, then ok THAT light goes out...but all the others stay on.....unlike with a normal voltage bus, where if one light gets water all over it, then EVERY light on that bus goes out as it shorts out the whole bus.
The isotera system is short circuit proof............its a current regulated bus.....that current regulated bus dosnt care if it puts current into a short, or into a lamp.

...its a current regulated bus.....that current regulated bus dosnt care if it puts current into a short, or into a lamp.

Please explain how a real current bus can do that. Here is what happens to a current-regulated bus if one of the loads shorts:

You mean that the "bus" is really a series string, like a Christmas Tree light set? I question the reliability of a series string, where an open failure of a single device takes out all the others...

Attachments

• d31.jpg
    d31.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 268
sorry i have not explained well......its the isotera current bus i speak of......the power source is magnetically connected to the loads. not with wires as in your sown schem

so when your office block catches fire and the sprinklers turn on....your isotera lights stay on.

Wow, who cares, it would be the least of my concerts when my office is on fire. You can also buy waterproof fixtures or emergency lighting.

OP since you don't work for isotera, why is your company (the same folks that drop strange assignments on your desk) asking you to build loads for it?

PS the isotera contact-less patent design seems very power transfer inefficient. It's not even detailed in the patent.

when my office is on fire.

For peopel who work at night, or in dark afternoons, or ni buildings where daylight does not shine in, believe me, you would be very grateful that the sprinklers didnt take out the lighting that you need to use to exit the building.

You can also buy waterproof fixtures
..Yes you can, but they are extremely expensive and short lasting since they have no ventilation.

emergency lighting.
....the batteries that you have, and its connections to the lamp, are not likely to be waterproof.

Please Take two seconds to imagine yourself in a totally dark room, into which thick smoke is pouring, and you can't even see the way out because the sprinklers took out the lighting system

Really grasping at straws to defend this product aren't you? :confused:

As far as emergency lighting goes yes they are designed to work while the sprinklers are on until their battery goes dead which should be far longer than you need to get out of your burning office.

Besides if your office is on fire how long do you plan to stay around anyway and what for? ;)

Has the isotera system been tested as a fireproof device? What stops the fire from melting the insulation, connectors, LEDs, etc...? Why does the OP work there (and deny it)? Why is there no data anywhere about isotera? Who gave isotera seed money (I want some). Who killed Roger Rabbit?

explain, s'il vous plait, how does battery powered emergency lighting become waterproof.?....and if its done, then is it practical to do it?

Look up IP65, it British Standards Institute certification for weatherproof. Emergency lighting would also need a local battery source not remote as power would not be dependable in a fire.

Do you work for isotera or are just trying to reverse engineer their product? I can't make heads or tails of the odd hardware from SAM3 to NiCAD batteries to 99.5% PFC efficient power supplies based on your past posts.

I just watched an isotera demo on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ_P41mXQ4E
Why at 56 seconds does the light come on before the second power wire is attached or am I seeing it wrong?
I dont work for them but my organisation is considering installing from them, and we have been offered a grant to do so. I can see this massive efficiency saving due to the centralised PFC, and i am thinking, surely its gotta be the way?
Then why are you building a 650W load tester for them? Why is there a SAM3 / NiCAD thread about emergency lighting? Why does your manager drop electronics on your desk and ask you for your opinion on them?

Last edited:
explain, s'il vous plait, how does battery powered emergency lighting become waterproof.?....and if its done, then is it practical to do it?

Take any gell cell battery attach any light bulb you have that works at the same voltage with fully exposed soldered connections then spray water on it and see how long it works.

Heck even drop it in a bucket of water and see how long it works. I bet that either way the bulb stays on longer than it would take the average person to get out of a room or a good sized building.

To me all of your counter arguments for or against everything related to this thread have came across as you either being deliberately trollish or incredibly naive and uneducated. That and so far you have yet to give any credible links to any information relating to these LED lights that shows any data related to that of which you claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back