Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

World's cheapest car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Recently an Indian company has launched world's cheapest car named 'Nano'..

The name of the company is TATA ...

Its price is just $2500 /- (showroom price)

See how it looks like...

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

It is more spacious than the car next expensive to it...

Regards,

Simran..

TaTa in one Italian dialect means $hit (for real). So, leave it to India to come up with a turd-sized automobile.:rolleyes:

HiTech said:
TaTa in one Italian dialect means $hit (for real). So, leave it to India to come up with a turd-sized automobile.:rolleyes:
That's what I thought when I saw the pic. It's a noble effort to try to design a car that can sell at that price.. but there are usually pretty good reasons why things cost as much as they do...

Optikon said:
That's what I thought when I saw the pic. It's a noble effort to try to design a car that can sell at that price.. but there are usually pretty good reasons why things cost as much as they do...

I think you need to consider how much $2500 is to an average earner in India!, and how little the people working in the plant will be getting paid.

It might be a pittance in the USA, but I bet it's a LOT out in India!.

So doing some conversion here from US$ to UK £

$2 USD = £1 GBP

So .......

$2500 = £2500 in the Governments eyes
+ £1500 import tax
+ £100 vehicle tax
+ £50 for fuel
+ whatever the Government feel like adding as extra tax
+ 17.5% VAT (Value added tax)

= £4875

Actually above was all guesswork but you'll probably find its not far off the mark of what it would cost over here once all the taxes are taken care of.

I've just bought £30 ($60) worth of programmer parts from the states. They were shipped on a 1 week service on the 11th December. On the 6th Jan I had a letter from Parcelfarce saying they were being held for customs charges. It cost me £11 in tax and another £8 in processing fees to get them released. Thats amost £20 in extra fees on a £30 item.

I'm curious about he quality of its construction and if it offers any safty features like airbags, ect. I wonder if it has a website?

One thing I don't like is the small wheels. It wouldn't do too well in a Minnesota winter. Potholes would be hard on it also. You would need fairly good roads to drive it on. I wonder how good the roads in India are? I wouldn't think they would be that great:confused:

I too do not care for the small tires.

One blurb talked about how much it would help the rural people with bad roads. I guess it would be better to hit a pothole and take the wheel off one of these then take a header on a motorbike.

Forget airbags and smog controls. You are luck it has windows that go up and down.

Quality and durability is the main point in question.

Remember the Hugo?

did they crash test the car???
i bet your safer in a shopping trolly than in that thing
styling is better from this one

HiTech said:
And then there was the time they tried to sell Ford Pintos in Portugal. :D

All safety...

All safety tests completed , crash test done... No airbags but seat belts are there...

Meets all pollution norms...

Regards,

Simran..:)

what kind of engine is build in (how many cilinders and cc ) 2stroke or 4 stroke is the body work from steel or polyester

Well...

3v0 said:
The nano made the news tonight.

The "pollution norms" for cars sold in your country were quite lax by world starnards the last time I checked.

I dont know much but i know one thing , that pollution norms in our country are there...

just like in europe we have euro I , euro II or sometimes euro III standards...

In India similarly BS I , BS II standards are there...

Also,

India is a global player along with some countries for cutting amount of green house gases... as Indian climate is also affected much...

Regards,

Simran..:)

I would give 'odds' that it will be selling at a lot more than £1200GBP in 12 months time.

I suspect the £1200 is a 'promo' price.

EDIT:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back