Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working on an eagle schematic and pcb from a later version of eagle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
I use Eagle Pro 6.5.0 (cost £900) on my computer.
A junior engineer has layed out a prototype PCB in the free version of Eagle (7.1.0).
I now need to evaluate his work and tidy it up. Is it possible to view and edit his schematic and pcb in my Eagle version 6.5.0?….or do I have to download the free version 7.1.0 in order to look at his work and edit it?
(I heard a rumour that if one loads the latest version of Eagle onto your PCB, it invalidates and puts a “virus” into any previous version of eagle that one has, and renders all the libraries forever unuseable in the previous version of Eagle…is this true?

Is it possible to view and edit his schematic and pcb in my Eagle version 6.5.0?….

Who knows?
Why don't you just try it and see what happens?

(I heard a rumour that if one loads the latest version of Eagle onto your PCB, it invalidates and puts a “virus” into any previous version of eagle that one has, and renders all the libraries forever unuseable in the previous version of Eagle…is this true?

Why would a company do something like that.
More than likely someone downloaded a dodgy version which was full of viruses.

If you have the source discs for your £900 software, and you back up the libraries, there should be no problem (except and hours work to reload) if the new version does trash the old one.

JimB

It used to be that the cracked versions ruined your files, but I doubt this will be the case with running a legitimate older version and new trial one side by side.
If are not sure then either backup your files or run the trial in a sandbox.

The answer is YES. You can open a 6.5 file with 7.1 edit and save, or create a file with 7.1, open, and save it with 6.5

I do not like the tarted up icons and screen in version in 7.1. I have both and use 6.5 in preference. (Both versions were purchased from Cadsoftusa, not cracked.)

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back