Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Won't be here for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAMN! - Hospital just rang, they have four possible emergency operations, they might have to cancel mine for today :D

They will ring later to tell me if I need to go or not.

Last edited:
DAMN! - Hospital just rang, they have four possible emergency operations, they might have to cancel mine for today :D

They will ring later to tell me if I need to go or not.

hi,
Is it one of those 'don't eat on the day of the op?' , that can be a pain in the butt if you do get a postponement, which sadly is usually the case when you get ,we are busy message.

hi,
Is it one of those 'don't eat on the day of the op?' , that can be a pain in the butt if you do get a postponement, which sadly is usually the case when you get ,we are busy message.

No, it's under a local - so eating was OK.

They have rung back, it's cancelled for today, and they will ring back later about rescheduling :(

try to maintain your cool. (easier said than done ,LoL). In modern times, they do it much simply
and I understand that success rates are really good.

Wish you very good results.

Last edited:
Well I'm still here! :(

I spent six hours sat in an open-backed gown and surgical stockings to be told it was cancelled for today.

I've got to wait to hear tomorrow when it's rescheduled for.

OK - I'm back!!! :D

Operation was on 15th September (at 8:30 am), and I've spent the last ten days 'posturing', unable to use a computer.

No useable vision in my left eye yet, but I was told I wouldn't have - it's full of gas at the moment - that takes about six weeks to dissolve, and then it's a question of seeing how much vision gradually returns.

Thanks, I'm hoping for at least some kind of useable vision from it - assuming the retina stays attached of course.

I was in the operating theatre for one hour forty minutes, they repaired 6 or seven retinal tears, and apparently as the centre had become detached central vison is likely to be badly affected. They did closely examine my right eye as well, and couldn't see any pproblems with that one - so at least that was good news.

We can only wait and see - I go back to have it looked at on the 3rd October - so see what they say then.

I expect 80% near normal. Initially , the 'gas' feeling might be correct and obviously it takes little longer due to age factor. we need not loose confidence. Did you have symptoms of "sneezing too many times, before the retina was noticed detached, and a sort of lightening feeling during sneezes? To the extent possible find means to reduce sneezing. It helps settling of retina.

Wish you all the best. Cool and relax.

Last edited:
Nice to see you back Nigel and let's just stay positive.

Ron

Welcome back, Nigel - I hope your vision returns, and all is well. Though I shouldn't be, I'm kinda amazed that they can do this kind of surgery at all...

Good luck with your recovery... :)

Welcome back, Nigel - I hope your vision returns, and all is well.

Likewise Nigel, I wish you a speedy recovery.

I'm kinda amazed that they can do this kind of surgery at all...

Actually cr0sh, I'm not that surprised to be honest.
There's possibly so much medical research going on behind the scenes, revising new techniques, upon primates and other mammals with closely related organs (pig tissue transplants, for instance...) that should the general population become privy to even a minor snippet, there'd be a huge public outcry and protests/attacks from those with a closed-mind who may argue that this type of research is unethical...

...Until it affects someone close to them and provides relief, or even a relapse and possible cure....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back