Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wondering how is Willen doing in Nepal

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
After reading the news I wonder how things are developing there...

Thank you so much dear atferrari, remembering me in such sad day! Luckily I can browse ETO this morning too, as usual. It means I am very fine and around safe place. Also my villagers are fine too.

Epicentre was central Nepal and peak magnitude were almost 7.9. I am here in eastern Nepal. In the east of Nepal, there's India and then Bangladesh. Also Bangladesh affected yesterday. I never had felt such earth swing, lands were floating (vertical first and then horizontal long time), was hard to stand! Main shock was yesterday 11:56 am (GMT +5:45) and till now people felt almost 90 other smaller shock back to back, till now!

Around central Nepal (around Kathmandu), all traditional buildings, temples, bridges were collapsed. Ancient building made by soil and public houses have been collapsed. Some roads are broken. Till now 1500 dead body found, many more are missing. Government said to close schools and colleges till 5 days.

Because of overlapping two huge Indian plate (from south) and Chinese plates (from north) inside the earth, Nepal (the himalays area) is facing huge earthquakes after some of the years. This one is biggest after 82 years.

A nice feature I saw in Facebook this morning is- it is asking to all Nepalese, providing choosing options- "I am safe?" or "I am in affected area?" and then it is notifying the answer to all friend list.

Last edited:
Good to hear you are okay. Hope all your family is doing well.

Hola Willen
Good to hear you are safe!

Ops........!!! Another huge shock of 6.9 magnitude just now at 12:56 (GMT +5:45), still after 25 hours of first shock! What is happening!!!

Last edited:
Stay safe, Willen.

Glad to hear you are ok.

I hope some lessons are learnt after recovery and someone follows what Japan has done to make all buildings and bridges float with dampers.

Now is the time to test China's level of responsibility for it's taking control to face global pressures to be a responsible parent to Nepal. or not. I am sure other responsible neighbours and Canada will lend support.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1961580/canada-looking-at-sending-dart-to-earthquake-stricken-nepal/

Last edited:
I just can wish the teams arrive as soon as possible here! It's hard to be patient by looking collapsed buildings and crying their relatives from outside. It has been 48 hours of the hit but Till now MANY MORE buildings (probably 80%) are not getting rescue! Hundreds of peoples breathing their last breath inside these collapsed buildings! As I said just 20% rescue has been done till now and they found 3800 dead bodies! I don't know how many bodies are there in these 80% remaining buildings!

Last edited:
Because of all this, I just learnt in what a critical part of the world you live. I feel sorry for all that suffered such terrible events.

Last edited:
I wonder why they ignored Seismic Engineer's study last month that indicated it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Poor souls. Worse yet the survivers with nothing.

I would come and help if there was a free rescue plane. Time is critical and risks grow exponentially with disease. Organization and communication is critical.

I would bring my 10 ton hydraulic jack and dog, water containers and a thousand flashlights

Because of all this, I just learnt in what a critical part of the world you live. I feel sorry for all that suffered such terrible events.
Hi atferrai,
Now our condition is almost same as San Juan in 1944 there. When you lost 10% of population there. Here won't die such huge population but the condition of upcoming disease might be extremly dangerous!

It has been more than 60 hours of first killer shock and even till now around capital city Kathmandu, childs, womens and mans are crying from under ground- crumbled buildings! Imagine about more affected village areas! Rescue teams are not being able to reach in remote himalaya/mountain villages yet. Numbers of dead bodies increasing horribly!
I wonder why they ignored Seismic Engineer's study last month that indicated it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Poor souls. Worse yet the survivers with nothing.
Two points of view-
First is they never faced such hit and disaster so they became very careless and second is due to low economic status of maximum people they use minimum material and simpler designs. They added lot more floors in buildings year by year to earn addition rent and they didn't care capability of bottom floor. Unfortunately crumbled all! At least they will learn after.

Thank you dear Tony for your wide heart! Canadian team arrived here in Nepal rescuing people. I saw lots of capable Nepalese youths are sleeping in road doing nothing but some of foreign tourists were helping to rescue team! Nepalese have to learn at least. I was worrying about these foreigner guests because all hotels, shops, houses were closed from 3 days. However thousands of heartful nepalese are rescuing all day and night along with rescue teams from more countries.

Hello,

Wow, i am totally at a loss of words, not knowing what might help to say, except that i wish you the best and many prayers go out to you and your loved ones and village friends.

One small caution i can offer is to watch the drinking water as it may have become contaminated, depending on where you get it from, by newly formed underground activity.
Perhaps boil first, for five full minutes, and check the smell for chemicals. Hopefully this doesnt become a big problem.

Hi MrAl,
From the government and some medical organization urging us to use pure water and use few drops of chlorine to purify drinking water. Around the crowd cities, they use pipeline water sources which might be contaminated badly. We are living in a village and we use hand water pump which is 45 ft deep inside the earth. We need to be careful, it can be internal contamination in the earth though (?). In a village, they felt a kind of gas is leaking somewhere, and eventually they got their small part of their land was getting very hot!
Thousands of people are coming back to their home from the crumbled city area. I cannot guess the condition of upcoming disease. Hospitals are already overloaded and injured are getting treatment in roads! I hope also they all are careful in foods and water.

Stay safe, Willen. You and yours and your entire nation are in our hearts.

Hello again,

The best we can do to help at this point is to donate to a charity that is known to be working in that area right now, such as Catholic Charities, and maybe the Red Cross.
At least this way they will get more funds to help the people who suffered losses.

Yes, displaced people need such help. But here it's VERY important to donate in right organization who directly distributes it to victims. Donation through our government might not be worthful way. You know that in a poor country, there's lots more corruption exist. I even cannot believe on my government.

Yes, displaced people need such help. But here it's VERY important to donate in right organization who directly distributes it to victims. Donation through our government might not be worthful way. You know that in a poor country, there's lots more corruption exist. I even cannot believe on my government.
I know the feeling.

But Willen, good to know you're doing ok. Stay safe brother.

Wishing you the best Willen and stay safe. I am late but don't get to this forum section very often. Glad you are OK and just stay safe to you and yours.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back