Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wiring mp3 siren to audio out on dvr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom W

I have an 8 channel KGuard DVR with no alarm output but, audio out RCA jack that plays a buzzer for various amounts of time minimum 30 seconds maximum 5 minutes. I purchased an mp3 siren that will play up to 4 different mp3 files from 4 different trigger wires. I recorded a barking dog mp3 file and want it to play instead of the buzzer. Would it be possible to connect the siren to the audio out connection to use the audio out as a trigger? The siren needs a 12V power supply. Would I need a relay to trigger the siren and would the audio out buzzer be enough to trigger a relay? Would it complete the circuit if I wired it without a relay or would I short out my DVR?

Welcome to ETO, Tom!

Don't know if this manual: **broken link removed**
covers your model, but I suspect the "buzzer" audio out is similar.
Would it complete the circuit if I wired it without a relay or would I short out my DVR?
That output would not support your concept.

You'd need a device, used as an audio presence" device, such as this:
https://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=130, wired to buzzer's output jack, to trigger the MP3 player,

Such a device could be built from scratch, but we don't know your level of expertise.

Am I in the ball park?

Last edited:
This sounds like what I want but I am concerned with the voltage. The mp3 siren and the dvr both use 12V and the ST-ACR1 needs a 24 volt power source. I have 2 converter boxes (one 12V and one 24V). Is it possible to wire the relay with 24V and the alarm with 12V?

Either the 24VDC power supply (PS) (wall-wart) offered with the ST-ACR1, or your 24VDC PS, will suffice . Use the 12VDC supply for your siren and feed a leg through one of the relay outputs in the ST-ACR1.
This might help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back