Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wiring diagram (ideally color) for Dayton belt drive motor Model 3K386J

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewbech05

I replace this electric motor and it has 4 lugs - I have 3 wires blk, red and white. There is a sticker on motor indicating wiring, but seems only an electrician knows how to interpret.

There is CW shaft end (clockwise) =1 = Blue & line speed high; 2 = line common; 3 = line-low speed; 4 = white

To obtain CCW shaft end (counter clockwise) = 1 = white & line-high speed; 2= line common; 3 = line-low speed; 4 = Blue

I think this tells me something important.

I do need CW = clockwise looking down on shaft. I have a timer and those 3 wires (blk, white & red) + ground go into motor.

Help -- how do I wire?

Thanks Lew lewbech@gmail.com

I will assume your location to be US based on the motor. I would also suggest you have a qualified electrician do this. Based on you mentioning:

I have 3 wires blk, red and white.

For US mains wiring that implies 240 volts with a neutral. Either red or black to neutral should yield 120 VAC. That assumes the 3 wires you are talking about are the wires feeding the motor.

If you look at the data plate (label) on the motor you see the line voltage is either 115 - 205/230 so the motor may be configured to run off either Low voltage (115-120) or High voltage (220-240) at standard 60 Hz. US mains frequency. For High Voltage operation (220-240) and CW rotation facing the shaft, you would join the motor's Black and Blue leads and connect them to the either red or black incoming line and connect the black incoming line to the remaining red lead of the motor.

This should be the name plate for your motor.

If that is not exactly what you have then obviously do not wire it as I suggest. Again, in all honesty and in your best interest (and the motors best interest) if you are not sure about how things like this are done I strongly suggest a qualified electrician familiar with wiring motors. Again, I am guessing based on the links I provided and making the foolish assumption your mains power is correctly wired as I mentioned. Lacking a green wire from the mains, the white wire would go to the motor frame if there is a motor frame lug for it. The motor frame needs grounded for safety reasons.

Ron

This should be the motor you have.

This should be the nameplate data.

Last edited:
Thank you Reloadron for your reply,

I don't believe this motor is 220V. So here is more information from nameplate (specs with adhesive back, applied to side of motor).

This is a motor for vented - big blade ceiling fan -- a belt driven Dayton Motor model no. 3K386J
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP: 1/3 - 1/9 PH: 1 LEAD CONNECTIONS

Volts: 115 (does not refer to 220) HZ: 60

Amps: 5.1-2.9 FR: 48Y CW SHAFT END I CCW SHAFT END
I
RPM: 1725-1140 INS CL: B l------------- BLUE I l---------WHITE
1l------------- LINE-HIGH SPEED I 1 l----------LINE-HIGH SPEED
Duty: Continuous AMB: 40'C I
2-------------- LINE-COMMON I 2 ----------LINE-COMMON
SFA: 5.8-3.1 SF: 1.35 I
3--------------LINE-LOW SPEED I 3 ----------LINE-LOW SPEED
KVA: N ENCL: ODP I
4--------------WHITE I 4----------BLUE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the only diff between CW SHAFT END & CCW SHAFT END is the 1st = 1; and the last = 4 being BLUE or WHITE.
--------------------------

I need the motor to turn CW up in attic, so other end of fan belt turns Clock Wise up to; allowing large fan blade underneath to turn Counter Clock wise.

What does Line-High Speed verses Line-Low Speed mean? (I'm assuming this is a 2 speed motor = off, low & high) not sure.

What does the Line-Common mean?

So with my black, white and red wires (+ground) feeding in from 1 cable -- how do I wire for Clock Wise looking down at motor shaft? (motor is upright)

Hope this added info helps lead to what I need.

Thank you in advance.

Lew :)

Yeah, I was afraid of that. It's a 2 speed motor. Would the power switch just be an On / Off or does it allow for speed control? The wires going to the motor have me wondering. Generally you have two wires, Black as Hot and White as Neutral.

Ron

You may want to try this location from Dayton Motors. I just don't want to guess and give you bad dope as I can't find that specific motor.

The Line Common in typical US wiring is White. Black is Hot or Line High.

Ron

Last edited:
Yes, that's the way I say it -- blk & white = on & off, however, there is a time to turn on or can choose constant instead of some duration of time.

There is a blk wire going through box -- from basement (circuit box) up to motor

there is a white and a red connected to times sw -- not sure if it is the same white or red above -- and actually - it can't be.

So with this timer, how can 1 take advantage of the two speed motor? after correctly wiring.

So it runs on a timer? Since I can't see this stuff I really suggest you find someone local who understands motor fan circuits and have them look at it. Preferably someone with a meter to see what is what.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back