Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring a foot-switch to a contactor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjl83

Hi guys/gals,

I've had an enquiry from a singer asking if I could design a panel that will allow them to switch a small bank of floodlights on and off via a foot switch on the stage. My first thought was to have a panel with a few sockets mounted on the side of it. These would be fed from a contactor within the panel. The box itself would have a power lead (13amp plug). The foot switch would provide the control by switching the state of the contactor.

The problem I have is that I am not entirely sure how the foot switch would work with the contactor? I am assuming that the easiest way would be to keep the control side 230v to negate the need for transformers. Would I need relays too or could the contactor be enough? I am basing my design on 1000w output.

I am an electrician and I have a small amount of control panel knowledge. Once I am happy with the theory I am more than happy to make the panel myself.

Any thoughts or general ideas would be gratefully received.

TIA,
Paul. :)

You could use an alternate action push-button switch controlling a contactor relay. For safety, I would recommend you use a contactor with a low voltage (say 12 to 28VAC) coil with a transformer to provide the 12 to 28V. You don't want 230V running around the stage. The transformer can be small since it only has to provide relay coil power.

How does this look?

**broken link removed**

I've left out the fuses and earth cables to make the drawing simpler. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Paul

That looks OK to me.

Thanks guys.

I would have panel mounted fuses on the outside of the box. 13amp in between the contactor and the sockets, then one in between the live rail and the transformer (size dependant on required switching current).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back