Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless robot (with a camera)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

Hi i'm making a robot that has 2 cameras on it and now i'm stuck on how to get image from the cameras to my pc what is max 100meters(9140? yards) away from that robot. the cameras i try to use are usb webcams (the cheapest i could find). I thought using WiFi cause i have one for my laptop but some of the guys sed, i could'nt use them cause they cant send USB data... I dont have no PC's on that robot and ar not planing them either. only some pic's to control my robot.

I would like to send image from my robot to läptop and some data from my laptop to the robot aswell(commands to the pic) so it has to be a tranciever styled thingy...

any ideas?
Waiting for answers
Rain

Hope you are willing to pay big bucks for this project?

Cause it aint cheap.

If you still want to do it post yes.

ok what exactly costs that much? if rhe range is too big then i'm willing to decrease it 5x (to 20m\18yards) willing to pay ~$100-200

More then that, at least in $400 to $500 usd range unless you go with a Pocket PC.

Got one?

hmm... nope not jet...
but if i do buy one then what and how do i connect those things?
and also what kind of palm do i need?

Well you want to get a pocket pc not a palm. You should go with a hp or a toshiba.

I have a toshiba E740 which I love and I am responding to this post with it rite now.

as i can see it also has integer WiFi but on what distance can it communicate with my laptop.

and it has only 1 usb port. i have to use a divider to get two? and how to i get the image from thad ppc to my laptop? and can i hook up my pic to it also?

Well the distance might only be 100 or less feet, maybe a little more but not much.

Is that a problem?

is it so that 1 foot is 0.3 m?
so 100f is 30m?
if so no problem actually.

but that toshiba E740 is pritty costy. isn't there anything cheaper? $100 is the aim.

and could you tell me what are the differences in palm and ppc?

For a 100 with the Wifi card no way, either way you go it will cost you?

This is a expensive project that will require items that are extremly expensive.

Ok well... let's lose the camera.
leaving only RF communication with robot and my laptop. are there any cheap wayss to do that? 1 channel needed only. to send data from my pic to laptop (sensor values) and some commands from laptop to my pic. range is 100-30m

**broken link removed**

found this precious thingy. this would be like perfecto for me. it is a tranciever and its cost is low ($18 only)
can i use those?

bloody-orc said:
http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/Radio_Transceiver_Modules.html

found this precious thingy. this would be like perfecto for me. it is a tranciever and its cost is low ($18 only)
can i use those?

I would suggest you look at instead, this one includes the required encoding/decoding so you can send standard serial data. Otherwise you will have to write your own routines.

BTW, the prices are in UK Pounds, not US Dollars.

you sed that usin this smart thingy is better to use, but when i looked at the datasheet it seemed, that i dont need all those things.

what do you meen be encoding/decoding? that i hace to use some kind of a modulation before? why cant i just send pulseout or something like that?

the extra 5£ is too much for me... i guess

bloody-orc said:
you sed that usin this smart thingy is better to use, but when i looked at the datasheet it seemed, that i dont need all those things.

what do you meen be encoding/decoding? that i hace to use some kind of a modulation before? why cant i just send pulseout or something like that?

the extra 5£ is too much for me... i guess

You can't send standard serial data over an RF link, basically because it's AC coupled - usually manchester coding is used, but you are quite free to invent your own :lol:

They will transmit variable width pulses, again though, within the constraints of their AC coupling - you would need to experiment. The more expensive ones come 'ready to use', with a pre-programmed PIC doing all the work for you.

go to www.rentron.com

they have a transmiter/reciever that connects to a computer
the total cost for both would be 120 to 130usd not bad at all.

Plus free software.

Ya but it is easier to interface with the computer using the rentron tx/rx even though they contain parts from linx.

It all depends on time wise.

ok well i chose SC-P tranciever module from linxtechnologies.com
is it any good? is it "smart" (inside coding) what and when do i send to it? can i communicate wit it via i2c? or serout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back