Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless identification over a distance of Ca. 3 meters (10feet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ETO'ers

I first would like to introduce myself, since I am new to this forum. I'm Niels, 22 years old and currently third year student of Industrial Design at the University of Technology in Eindhoven (The Netherlands).

At the moment I am working on a new project, but I continuously get stuck at this point, I need to identify a tag each time it flies by, not that hard when using RFID you would say, though the tag can only pas at a minimum distance of 50 centimeters till a maximum of approximately 3 meters (if impossible, could be lowered till 1,5 - 2 meters). I have already searched for quite some time on the internet but can't seem to figure out how to manage, if possible at all.

Thus, maybe there is somebody on this forum who has already a lot of experience with RFID or similar technologies to make this work, small footnote is the fact that it is for a study project and thus the budget isn't similar to one from a multinational.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Niels

3 meters is tough, even a coil the size of a hula-hoop may not be big enough to drive it, and detecting the little mouse-squeak of signal coming back from it is going to be difficult.

Why not use QR codes? There are open-source libraries, a camera can easily see to 3 meters.

QR-tags could be a solution but not ideal, I need to identify horses with it and qr tags could be influenced by dirt and weather conditions.

You can take a magic marker and draw a line through a QR code and still read it. You can tear off a third and throw it away and still read it. QR code is fault-tolerant to 30% of it's bits.

Are you trying for sub-dermal RFID implants in the horses? You may need multiple coils on a fixed reader, because the wand reader never hits the right orientation first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back