Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless Electric Detonator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a way how to blow yourself up wirelessly. This is a true story which happened when I was exchange pilot in Turkey.

Two wise guys of the technical group got hold of a rocket motor used in aircraft ejection seats and tried to get to the solid state propellant.

This motor consists of a package of three cylindric barrels filled with propellant, each one having a nozzle in the center.

They unscrewed the first one and pulled out the charge - Amen! :rolleyes:

Although they were concerned with ejection seats they missed one (or some) lessons when being instructed. :confused:

Rocket motors of ejection seats always have a fire wire which ignites the charge when the wire is being released. (In case the charge fails to ignite by the blast of the initiator gun the wire is cut by a guillotine releasing an impact bolt to fire as soon as the seat has lifted more than 3feet. )

The result: A completely blown up hut 4X3m and two half torsos underneath the workbench. :(

The advantage: They were dead before they noticed it. :p

My advice: Do something similar stupid. Happy suicide! :eek:

Boncuk

Last edited:
I created my project to increase the safety of enjoying fireworks. It's nice being able to plug in an igniter (with the receiver OFF), and press a button instead of lighting with a lighter, then running back to safety!

I know (most) fireworks are not nearly as dangerous as the rocket motors in ejection seats, but I have personally seen someone blow their finger off, so I know very well to stay on the safe side.

As far as me interfering with other radio communications...

Attached is the FCC's allocation chart for 40-70 MHz. I don't know the exact frequency I'm transmitting on, but it must be around 50 - 60 MHz. On the chart it says 'Amateur', and TV Channels '2-4'. My transmitter is only actually transmitting for a few seconds when I press one of the ignition buttons. I don't think this would interfere with anyone else. Plus, the range is only ~200 ft I believe.

Attachments

• wirelessfireworksfrequencies.jpg
    wirelessfireworksfrequencies.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 270
The 2.4ghz spectrum for model airplanes always worried me a little. You always have line of site with a model aircraft so that's not an issue, but the idea of being shot down by someone nearby with a malfunctioning microwave always worried me. The 72mhz band at least is dedicated to RC aircraft.

im going to wire it to a project box with 2 switches one a puse and the other a flip it will look like a detonater

For a real exciting day, take your new toy to the airport or a busy street corner. Think of all the new people you'll meet.:D:rolleyes:

Like the local or federal cops =\

I used cheap transmitter & receiver circuit boards from an RC toy car set that I bought at Radio Shack. It has four outputs, or cues, as they are known in the firework business. I also made my own electric igniter's from Christmas light bulbs.

I use it to safely ignite my fireworks at parties. It's really nice not to have to run away after lighting a firework with a lighter. And it lets the kids have a (safe) chance to light their own!

Here's a link to my project:

4 Ch Wireless Firework Igniter System

And how to make electric igniter's from Christmas light bulbs:

Electronic Igniters
That's a terrible idea, since if you forget and leave the receiver on, it could fire from any other source of RF signal that happens by. You need a digital link with an authentication code for this sort of work.

I'm not concerned that you would bother someone with a few seconds transmission.

But your article suggests that the receiver on an unknown frequency outside the 49MHz band is somehow "safer" than within the band needed comment. It could possibly be within the 6-meter ham band (where we're licensed up to 2kW) which doesn't sound any "safer" than sharing the license-free band with other toys.

Your transmitter range might be only 200ft, but my transmitter could accidentally trigger you from a few miles away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back