Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless Electric Detonator

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaSmurf

OK, i suck at computer stuff but i know u guys don't

so hlep me, i need to make an electric wireless detonator to safley ignite explosives from a distance.

i have:

1) a disposable camera (used to make tasers, and possibly ignite explosives)

2) a soldering iron

3) lots of solder

4) access to radio shack and target, but no hobbie shop

5) $10

all help would be greatly appriciated

Got a hunch this will turn into a "taboo-topic", but this is something of interest to me as well. Mostly, I want a cheap and easy, reusiable means to ignite firecrackers remotely. For the remote, I was thinking about modifying a cheap Big Lots R/C car, and using a 4017 to index through 10 shots. Basically the neighbor's cats (17 or so) like to use my yard and garden for a toilet. Some are sensitive to ultrasonic, some bright flashing light (xenon flash), all hate the firecrackers, which I have a huge quantity. Basically, it would be more effective and convient to push a button when I see them on the security monitor.

Anyway, how much range are you looking at? How big an explosion? Not sure $10 will buy you much range or safety. Personally, if its a big boom project, I'd seriously consider a two channel system, one to arm, the other to fire.

Since, I don't know the details, can only guess this is for some kind of hobby interest, not just a couple of tree stumps in the east pasture... Might consider timers, cheap enough to destroy...

HarveyH42 said:
Got a hunch this will turn into a "taboo-topic", but this is something of interest to me as well. Mostly, I want a cheap and easy, reusiable means to ignite firecrackers remotely. For the remote, I was thinking about modifying a cheap Big Lots R/C car, and using a 4017 to index through 10 shots. Basically the neighbor's cats (17 or so) like to use my yard and garden for a toilet. Some are sensitive to ultrasonic, some bright flashing light (xenon flash), all hate the firecrackers, which I have a huge quantity. Basically, it would be more effective and convient to push a button when I see them on the security monitor.

Anyway, how much range are you looking at? How big an explosion? Not sure $10 will buy you much range or safety. Personally, if its a big boom project, I'd seriously consider a two channel system, one to arm, the other to fire.

Since, I don't know the details, can only guess this is for some kind of hobby interest, not just a couple of tree stumps in the east pasture... Might consider timers, cheap enough to destroy...

please i realy don't understand any of that, if your asking me to take apart a remote control car your gunna have to show me how to do it, i was thinking more along the lines of an modified wireless doorbell, oh and its way bigger then firecrackers, im prabably gunna use it mostly on rockets. so.... yah...

It's called an "electronic match". Look online. You need a battery with a decent current capacity, alkalines basically ok. You do not want to use high voltage of a camera flash. It will probably not work at all, just use batteries. The RC car's batteries would work.

Nichrome wire is best, but in a pinch a very thin strand of copper wire stripped out of fine braided wire will probably work just not as reliably. Pass it across a match head.

I didn't start this thread, but thanks for the info.

The wireless doorbell is a better choice, and probably cheaper then my R/C car idea. Will have to shop around for one.

I've searched "electronic match", and found they are mainly single use, for model rockets. I'm looking for something I can perminently wire up, and just replace the firecrackers.

As far as the origional post goes, still think a two channel detonator would be a better solution, but explosives scare the crap out of me. If your rocket is live while you are wiring it up, there is some chance of a stray signal and unexpected launch. There so many RF devices operating these days, just not worth gambling on.

I kind play with the idea of using steel wool for a ignitor, but its not the solution I'm looking for. The high humidity in Florida would rust it quickly, and would still need to replace it everytime. Definately cheap and easy though, a 9volt battery will light it up.

I hope you're not a terrorist and you're only planing to blow stuff up for fun.

An easy way of doing this would be to use a tuned circuit connected to the gate of a thyristor to switch on the ignition device (whether it be an ignition coil or a piece of thin wire) and a small ocillator as a transmittor, the only problem is it could falsely trigger if you're not careful.

The orginator of this thread wants to launch model rockets wirelessly, which was closely related to something I've been interested in lately.

I'm only interested in terrorizing the neighbors cats, hopefully before they **** on my property (they have around 17 regulars, and of course any strays are welcome...). I don't hate cats or my neighbors, just stepping in their poorly buried feces. Anyway, this isn't my thread, so lets get back to model rockets.

Was thinking insted of two seperate RC channels for safety, maybe put a counter in the reciever end. Push the button on the transmitter a couple of times, and up she goes.

I've only seen a few launches, and know these things have a huge potential to mess you up bad. I imagine the engine exhaust would burn you badly, if you were any closer than a few feet when it lifted off. This is why suggest some sort of safety feature. One random event can mess up your life in a instant, but two or more in a row is unlikely.

For my project, a simple on/off at the reciever should be good enough. If it should ignite a firecracker unexpectedly, there would little potential for physical injury (these are small firecrackers, not even powerful enough to blow up an orange off my tree).

Hero999 said:
I hope you're not a terrorist and you're only planing to blow stuff up for fun.

An easy way of doing this would be to use a tuned circuit connected to the gate of a thyristor to switch on the ignition device (whether it be an ignition coil or a piece of thin wire) and a small ocillator as a transmittor, the only problem is it could falsely trigger if you're not careful.

im 15, btw does anyone know how to make a bomb that detonates if a certain amount of pressure is applied to it, like 100lbs

j/k

but seriousely, i would need a drawing of how to do it, heres a pic of the disposible camera chip

**broken link removed**

im 15, btw does anyone know how to make a bomb that detonates if a certain amount of pressure is applied to it, like 100lbs

j/k

but seriousely, i would need a drawing of how to do it, heres a pic of the disposible camera chip
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping that I've didn't understand... Guessing you aren't interested in an actual explosion, but a simulated one, with the flash from the disposiable camera.
I've converted a few KodakMax to strobe, but it takes 8-10 seconds to charge between flashes.

Well, unfortunately, I guess this thread is dead... A bomb detonated by 100 LBS of pressure sounds a little too terrorist. I don't think our military even uses land mines anymore. You should find a new hobby.

I make two types of igniters.

First 1 uses a car battery, a piece of nichrome resistence wire, a match and super glue.

You nead about 3/4 in. lenth of 0.3mm diameter resistance wire.
File of the phospure of the match.
Coat the resistence with with a bit of super glue, and dip/sprinkle the phosphure fileings over it.

The second, and the new way, uses a 6volt torch light bulb.
Break the glass of the bulb without damaging the filament.
Dab a bit of super glue on the filement and add the phosphour match fileings over it.
apply only about 3v or less, just to make the bulb glow a dim orange color.
that is enough to ignite the match filings.

I'm useing a picaxe microcontroller and a 434Mhz transmitter and receiver to activate the ignition for my LPG powered Water rockets.

I'm sure you could use a cheap wireless doorbell to do it.

The easest and cheapest way to wierlesky blow it up is IR.Get a 38Khz IR reciver module(There prety cheap) wire it to a mosfet and them to a electronic ignitor.Then to blow it up point a TV remote at it and push a button.

Its not radio but it is wireles and cheap.

As for a preshure bomb the best way to do it is whith a presgure sesitive sharge to set off a main charge.The stuff on mathes can detonate under preshure.The easyer way is to use a switch and a electronic ignitor.Also you have to put some kind of spring over the switch so it needs some force to triger.Are you trying to make a mine out of this?

as you don't know much about electronics try the following untested idea:

Most wireless door bells have a red led attached to them witch lights up when Some one presses the button on the transmitter.

Remove the Led and solder on the tiny light bulb.
See if it will light up.

if it does, then remove the glass and superglue the match fileings.

Those pilot light bulbs only use 50 milli amps to light up, so you should have no problem.

Cross your fingers. good luck, and hope it works.

click the attached Thumbnail to view picture.

Attachments

• pilot.gif
    pilot.gif
    9 KB · Views: 848
Last edited:
Someone Electro said:
The easest and cheapest way to wierlesky blow it up is IR.Get a 38Khz IR reciver module(There prety cheap) wire it to a mosfet and them to a electronic ignitor.Then to blow it up point a TV remote at it and push a button.

Its not radio but it is wireles and cheap.

As for a preshure bomb the best way to do it is whith a presgure sesitive sharge to set off a main charge.The stuff on mathes can detonate under preshure.The easyer way is to use a switch and a electronic ignitor.Also you have to put some kind of spring over the switch so it needs some force to triger.Are you trying to make a mine out of this?

**** thats tight, so i modify some remote control car and point my tv remote at and press any button? i have a broken zip zap car, it has to be fixed first

It is NOT ****, nor is it Tight.

Follow the last, upto the broken bulb. Break the soldering iron and pull out the nichrome wire. Replace the broken bulb with 1" of the nichrome wire. This will glow red with 1.5V.
A 3" coiled nichrome will work in place of the remote car motor. Doesnt matter if you forward or reverse, it still works.

make a spring balance with the remote switch and a hinged rod. one end to the switch and the other end to the weight etc,.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back