Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windvane and Anemometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

Hi, i have a student doing a project on a yaw controlled wind turbine(its part of Distributed Energy System). For that purpose i and he were looking at the options we have for measuring wind speed and direction. Googling for both has turned up commercially use devices(not much use since too expensive) so i was out searching for some way to make one. There are three options that i have concluded that i can give them and help them out:

1. Build the 4 ultrasonic sensor wind direction and speed meter from EPEs weather station published in August 2003.

2. Buy the anemometer sensor from

**broken link removed**

and make a wind vane using a disk with holes in the middle with IR transmitters on one side and receivers on the other like they did in silicon chip magazine.

3. Follow the 3 ultrasonic sensor model described here to build a wind direction and speed meter.

The thing i am confused in is that i dont want them to get entangled in a task that takes them away from their major project. Personally, i am in favour of the first choice.

I wanted your views on that.

An old favourite cheap anemometer can be made using e.g. 2 ping-pong ball halves as cups at the ends of an arm which rotates the shaft of a DC model motor. Output voltage is roughly proportional to wind speed. The traditional calibration method involves mounting it on a car driven at known speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back