Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_2545

Super Moderator
Hi, I have used Windows XP for a very long time. I have upgraded to one PC with Windows 7. Now there is Windows 8... but you can upgrade an XP machine to 8 (if your machine can handle it) for a lower cost than I expected. Download in progress...

Will let you know how it goes

I just installed Windows 8 in a partition on my computer, for dual boot with Windows 7. Overall I really enjoy the Windows 8 OS. It's very fast and efficient. Boot time is extraordinary. I've been having a few issues with my Windows 7 side, but that has nothing to do with the Windows 8 OS being installed. My point is, enjoy it! You might want to make a few modifications to the UI, particularly the start screen. It's optimized for touch-screen devices, and if you don't have one then it's somewhat difficult to use.

Hope you enjoy it.
Regards,
Matt

All the best on the upgrade!

My work horse PC where I do all my design work is running XP on a modern quad core PC (with SSD). It absolutely flies and I have yet to see any other PC or laptop match it on boot speed or general responsiveness.

I have an i7 (4 core 8 threads) laptop with windows 7 - that is pretty good as well. My old laptop had vista, which was pretty much useless so I put XP on it (slow, no driver support for JTAG leads etc), I hope vista improved before it's death, vista had just come out when I got my old laptop and it was a massive lemon.

Although I use windows most of the time for work and general use - I will not willingly give Bill anymore of my money. Also I see no reason to move from XP and 7 on the machines I have.

The social networking functionality does not interest me at all. Call me old fashioned but if I want to be social I will pick up the phone and arrange to go out!

XP was definitely one of Windows' better OSs. I had two or three computers before this one that ran XP and I loved the setup. From what I've seen, though, earlier Vista was absolutely horrible. It was clunky and full of bugs, but these issues were worked out in later versions. I used to use an Acer laptop that ran Vista, but it was a piece of junk. Thinking of trying to clean the whole darn thing out and start over again with Windows 7 (I still have that laptop by the way, as a secondary). We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
First download and install attempt was unsuccessful. The system was restored to XP and I am attempting it again.

The PC has a core i3 processor with a PCI TV tuner and will be used primarily as an extension to my entertainment system. I plan to use the DVR and Windows Media Center to cut out the cable system monthly charges for their DVR. Maybe even upgrade the CD/DVD to blue ray…

XP was definitely one of Windows' better OSs. I had two or three computers before this one that ran XP and I loved the setup. From what I've seen, though, earlier Vista was absolutely horrible. It was clunky and full of bugs, but these issues were worked out in later versions. I used to use an Acer laptop that ran Vista, but it was a piece of junk. Thinking of trying to clean the whole darn thing out and start over again with Windows 7 (I still have that laptop by the way, as a secondary). We'll see what happens.

Hey Matt

I bought my Acer lappie new in 2006 (albeit top end at the time) with XP installed.

Never a days hassle from word go. And we are in 2012 now.

Still strong and everything works as like a brand new Lappie. Except the battery. Obviously :eek:. Lucky me :D

Cheers,
tvtech

Last edited:
you can upgrade an XP machine to 8 (if your machine can handle it) for a lower cost than I expected.

From XP to 8.. sounds very fishy. But please keep updating. I might do the same if you recommend it :)

Meanwhile here is a video where somebody updates through every windows published up to Win 7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnehDhGa14

Hey Matt

I bought my Acer lappie new in 2006 (albeit top end at the time) with XP installed.

Never a days hassle from word go. And we are in 2012 now.

Still strong and everything works as like a brand new Lappie. Except the battery. Obviously :eek:. Lucky me :D

Cheers,
tvtech

Hey tvtech! I think if my Acer was running XP everything would be just fine. But instead, it's running what's probably the earliest version of Vista. It also doesn't help that a friend of mine tried installing Kaspersky Antivirus, which is eating up the RAM. It's next to impossible to do anything on it now. I'm thinking of digging it out and removing Kaspersky and possibly even installing Windows 7. We'll see....

From XP to 8.. sounds very fishy. But please keep updating. I might do the same if you recommend it :)

Meanwhile here is a video where somebody updates through every windows published up to Win 7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnehDhGa14

I agree. Windows XP to Windows 8 is quite a jump. Just make sure your source is legitimate and isn't trying to rip you off! ;)

Best of luck to you!

The install was finally a success. Note, you need to be sure all the monitors/TV that are connected to the PC are on, I missed the last part of the install the first time. Now on with Windows 8, I got it for a media center PC and am waiting for Windows Media Center Key to install that (its free at this time). With Windows 8 you get Tile World also know as the Metro interface. This OS has two different environments which are the desktop and Windows 8. In the Windows 8 environment you can only run Window 8 Apps from the Windows store. The Windows 8 version of Windows runs both desktop apps and Windows 8 apps. Older apps' icons can show up in both the desktop and Windows 8 environment but Windows 8 apps appear only in the Windows 8 environment. The Windows store sells both kinds of apps but its the only source of Windows 8 apps.

Got it?
Me neither

With Windows 8 you get Tile World also know as the Metro interface. This OS has two different environments which are the desktop and Windows 8.

I think you're confusing the start screen as its own environment. The screen with all the colored boxes (the Metro interface) is just the start menu. The desktop mode is still Windows 8. They are not separate. The start menu runs apps from the store. I use the desktop mode for most of the time, and with that setup you can run any programs. The only difference is that the start menu takes up the whole screen now. Other than that, everything is set up pretty much the same.

Update...the system has been working well. Anything that can run on XP or 7 has been able to run on 8. I stay away from the metro screens, they might be nice on a touch screen device, but for me I like the tried and true desktop view.

Put in a dual TV tuner card, now I have 3 tuners so I can record 2 and watch 1 or any combonation.

Overall I am pleased with the upgrade and the cost was a big factor to going to 8 over 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back