Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows OEM license

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ya MrAl

I actually still have a Windows 7 Upgrade disk I have yet to use. Hell, it only goes from Vista to Windows 7. I remember your SSD thread, I have yet to find a reason to use a SSD drive. Nothing I do requires the speed. My older workstation running dual Xeon processors is running XP and the main reason is that it uses a high end commercial graphics card that new drivers were never released for. 3D Labs Realizm 800 card. Maybe someday I'll yank that card and replace it and put Windows 7 on the thing. :)

Overall my Vista experience has been fine. No complaints anyway. Maybe this summer I'll build myself a new everyday system.

Ron

I'm using Vista right now, don't see a reason to upgrade until possibly when the market stabilizes a bit, but that will be 5-7 years from now and something else is likely to destabilize it by then.

Since this thread has gone off the main subject on tv the other night was a story of an Ozzies guy who took on micro$ucks and won, this so-called activation crap micro$ucks have rammed down on everyone was actually stolen from a patent owned by this Ozzie Guy who started a company called Unilock. Early on in the program he said micro$ucks approached them with a contract and the way it was written it would of stripped the patent of any value so rightly they told them where to shove the contract. A few years later they proved win$ucks had stolen their patent so they sued for patent infringement, well after the court case they won and were awarded around $388 mil but no guess to say micr4ucks appealed, payed off a judge and the decision was reversed. It does seem in the US a bribed judge can change the verdict of a jury and thats what happened. Well Unilock appealed again and finally after 12 years an out of court settlement was agreed.

So if win$ucks is just so good at not only ripping billions of consumers for products that at best are just plain buggy, where a new OS is deemed to be crap --- no money back just keep paying again and again and again.

Honestly when are people going to see where they get get full control of their pc's back with no real need to replace the computer every year just to run a bloated buggy OS. all it will cost is bandwidth to download a livecd to take a look at Linux and just how far it has become in the last few years.

There are a few uC programs like Oshonsoft I just run using Wine and it runs fine MPLab now runs on linux too and my overall opinion is for what our family does a linux setup will run fine and without a huge expense on the latest hardware to run it too...

Cheers Bryan

Last edited:
For those curious:

Microsoft reaches nine digit deal with Uniloc

Microsoft has reached a settlement with Uniloc over its use of software activation that is rumored to be in excess of $100 million. An Australian inventor and co-founder of Uniloc, Ric Richardson, developed the patent for the software activation technology used in popular Microsoft products such as Office. After initially winning $388 million lawsuit against Microsoft in 2009, the result was later overturned on appeal. The case recently returned to the court in Rhode Island, though this time Microsoft agreed to settle before the case went further.

Richardson is said to have developed the idea for the anti-piracy activation while working as a sound equipment programmer for INXS and John Denver back in the 90s. He was required to use expensive music software, but there was no way at the time to try the software before making an expensive outlay pushing musos to pirate the software instead.

Richardson took his patented idea of try-before-you-buy software to Microsoft in 1993, but Microsoft after showing interest in it, opted not to pursue a license. Subsequently, Microsoft developed its own version of Richardson’s idea known as Clearinghouse and incorporated it into its products from 1997. The technology allows users to download trial versions of software and then buy a license for it, should they wish to continue using it.

According to Microsoft spokesman David Cuddy, the companies reached a ‘final and mutually agreeable resolution’ to the dispute, which was first began in 2003. Uniloc, which is now based in Singapore, also has other ongoing disputes over the incorporation of similar technology into products from Symantec and Adobe. Inventor Ric Richardson took to his own blog to say that ‘the biggest thing at this moment so soon after the moment is the satisfaction of having stayed the course in support of the team at Uniloc. They really have done a great job.’ [via The Sydney Morning Herald]

The above quote was taken from here.

Brian, I always feel the love you have for Microsoft when you write anything about them. :)

I believe you pretty much covered things when you mention:

There are a few uC programs like Oshonsoft I just run using Wine and it runs fine MPLab now runs on linux too and my overall opinion is for what our family does a linux setup will run fine and without a huge expense on the latest hardware to run it too...

This has been covered before but is always amusing to bring it up again.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back